Harlequin Rasbora Tank Mates

anitstuk

G'day everyone! I'm getting a 10 gallon aquarium for Christmas and I'm transferring my 7 Harlequin Rasboras across with it. What tank mates should I get? I'm thinking some Corys and 1 Nerite Snail but please feel free to give me any suggestions..

Edited by anitstuk

They are really calm fish with tiny mouths so you can pretty much do what you want. They are never the trouble markers in my community tank and no one seems to bother them.

Corys are always a good bet. Maybe max out your space with a smaller variety or pgymys. Then you could think about getting centerpiece fish as well 

They will probably eat your shrimplets so if you go that way you might not get a colony going

Happy new tank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:51 AM, Flumpweesel said:

They are really calm fish with tiny mouths so you can pretty much do what you want. They are never the trouble markers in my community tank and no one seems to bother them.

Corys are always a good bet. Maybe max out your space with a smaller variety or pgymys. Then you could think about getting centerpiece fish as well 

They will probably eat your shrimplets so if you go that way you might not get a colony going

Happy new tank

What type of centerpiece fish were you thinking? Some sort of Gourami or Ram? I could go down the Betta route but I'm more interested in trying other things first 

Lol l I'd be tempted with a ram I love that punky look, like they are auditioning for mad max. 

Gouramis are cool if you want something gliding about . Honestly as my stocking shows I just go to the LFS and turn into a six year old and come home with whatever takes my eye on the day. 

On 11/14/2022 at 12:01 AM, Pepere said:

10 gallon tanks fill up really fast.

Luckily we can counter a lot of that with plants, filtration and occasionally a bit more maintenance.

On 11/14/2022 at 11:01 AM, Pepere said:

According to AQ advisor, 7 harlequins and 5 bronze cories in a 10 gallon tank puts you at 117% of capacity.

10 gallon tanks fill up really fast.

image.png.023795b2e958932c5bfb22b4acadfbd4.png

This was what I was thinking and AQ said it was at 130% stocking level.. 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:21 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Luckily we can counter a lot of that with plants, filtration and occasionally a bit more maintenance.

I was thinking of putting a thick layer of carpeting plants on the bottom with plenty of floating plants. Maybe even some Jungle Val and Java Fern

On 11/14/2022 at 12:02 PM, Pepere said:

Now Pygmy Cories would buy you some room given their small size.  Then maybe a small school of Chili Rasboras or Green Neon Tetras…

In my LFS, pygmies are kinda expensive but could give it a try. I also heard one time that they could die pretty easy. Is this true?  Regarding the thought of Chili Rasboras or Green Neon Tetras, I REALLY want to keep a school or two of these but can't fit them in the 10 gallon with the Harlequins. 

My vote is 4 otos. I would personally keep harlequins in a 20 long or larger if possible. Maybe ask Santa for a bigger tank to get optimum enjoyment. 😜

A 29 is as wide as a 20 long but it's height gives you more options as well.

I keep 12 harlequins in a 75 and they use the entire length of the tank. But they don't 'need' it, they just moved very quickly as a school across the whole tank. I know space can be an issue. I live that dilemma every day. I want more tanks in the house but don't have the space without it looking tacky for normal people 😂

Edited by Minanora
  • Haha 1

I'm in a similar boat and will be moving 5 Harlequins and 4 green cories (I may buy them a 5th if I can find a single from a reputable source) and 1 clown pleco who rarely leaves her hollow log into a planted 10 gallon.  I think it will be a full house, but not too cramped since everyone occupies different areas.

My harlequins are in 36 now.  But with 2 dozen annoying mollie fry, and lots of tall plants they have about 10g worth of swimming space anyway.  I'd like to increase the harlequins numbers, but I would definitely get a bigger tank if I do.

• Love 1

On 11/15/2022 at 3:00 AM, Patrick_G said:

Sterbai get pretty big, I think I would consider Hasbrosus or Panda Corydoras instead. 

I see some Pandas in my LFS so I'll see 👍.

On 11/15/2022 at 3:45 AM, JettsPapa said:

If it was me I'd probably just stick with the rasboras, but if you want something else I'd suggest a trio (1M, 2F) of honey gouramis, or maybe 6-8 Corydoras pygmaeus (not both).

I wanna try have more than one Honey Gourami but the problem is is that I don't have any time and space for any babiess. I also might try Pygmy Corys. I love how they're so small. 

• Like 2