Hello from Ohio!

Matt S

Hello Everyone!

I have kept fish off and on throughout my life. In the past few years I have been trying to better myself as a fish keeper. When I was younger, I didn't have a whole lot of guidance on maintaining water quality and everything. My fish lived and everything was mostly fine due to the fact that I mainly kept guppies in 20-30 gallon tanks. Now that I am an adult with a house and real money I am able and knowledgeable enough to test my water as needed and I keep live plants (when they don't die) rather than the fake ones. 

55 Gallon - Guppies, Celestial Pearl Danios, Julii Corydoras, Kuhli Loaches,

55 Gallon - Jack Dempsey, Siamese algae eaters (Hoping to find a schooling fish or something that can live with the Jack)

50 Gallon - Bloodfin Tetras, peppered Corydoras, gold tetras, amano shrimp.

14 Gallon - Guppy "nursery" with Pygmy Corydoras

10 Gallon - Apistogramma Cacatuoides pair (hoping for breeding action)

65 Gallon - Dry, waiting for inspiration

55 Gallon - Dry waiting for inspiration

Plus a few 10 and 20 gallons dry in case a need arises

Within the next couple of years I would love to buy a large (300+) gallon acrylic tank and have started a shopping list for such so I can estimate how much money I would need. In the meantime, I need to get better at plant keeping and fish disease identification. Anubias, vallisneria, and floating plants are the only things that seem to live in my larger tanks without hitting a hair algae or staghorn algae problem

P.S. Why did I ever think that duckweed looked nice?

• Like 2

First off welcome to the forum. What part of Ohio. I'm close to Akron and Cleveland. Would love to see some pictures of the tanks you have set up. 

What type of lighting schedule do you have on your larger tanks? That can play a part in the hair alge problem.