im really scared for 4 of my guppies..

SC Fish

i have 9 guppies in my 20 gallon

4 large fancy , 2 small fancy and 3 endlers 

(the endlers and small fancy are the same size)

the smaller guppy's and the enders are very peaceful towards each other, but very aggressive towards the bigger guppies, they are constantly getting bullied and chased around. the good news is, there seems to be very little or no fin nipping going on, but the large guppies are definitely stressed. 

one of the guppys dorsal fin is starting to turn white (i think, im not sure if it was already white when i first introduced him or not. because it seems that all 4 of them have a hint of white) 

i dont know what to do, and im thinking of rehoming them so they can be more in peace. anyone got any ideas? 

This can be very sad to watch and there's not a whole lot you can do. If you have a big tank you can add more maybe larger guppies so maybe they'll "circle the wagons" so to speak and be safer- but this can cause more issues sometimes- then you have that many more fish to potentially rehome. 

You can add more places for fish to hide- plants, structures- this can help them get out of the way and rest. 

Sometimes rehoming is the best solution, sadly. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

On 11/13/2022 at 4:33 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

This can be very sad to watch and there's not a whole lot you can do. If you have a big tank you can add more maybe larger guppies so maybe they'll "circle the wagons" so to speak and be safer- but this can cause more issues sometimes- then you have that many more fish to potentially rehome. 

You can add more places for fish to hide- plants, structures- this can help them get out of the way and rest. 

Sometimes rehoming is the best solution, sadly. 

adding more structures possibly wont work as the fish will most likely chase the others into them and out anyways..

i believe the only thing i can do is rehome, its a safer option for them and i know someone who may take them

• Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@SC Fish well that's actually great that you know someone- finding a home is often the hardest part. 

yes, my friend has a 30 gallon which is extremely understocked and she is looking for fish to add so this benefits us both, if she wants them

Livebearers can be very rough on each other, especially if the male to female ratio gets imbalanced, both male competition between each other and male harassment of females cause a lot of stress. And personality can definitely be a big factor. My guppy tank has been claimed by one orange guppy, he has nipped every other male introduced to death, he has to be part betta or something. After he KO'd my last $5 fancy guppy I decided no more, he gets to be king of the castle.

• Like 1