Columnaris Treatment Options?

TooManySnakes

I have diagnosed what I believe to be an ongoing columnaris infection in a guppy tank. I have looked into treatment options and am considering both aquarium salt and Triple-sulfa. I also have the quarantine trio in stock but I could order other medications if appropriate. I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank I can move symptomatic fish to or I can leave some or all of the guppies in their 29 gallon planted tank. Does anyone else have experience dealing with this disease? If so, what was your experience and how did you treat it?

Water parameters:
Temperature - 76.4 degrees
TDS - 384 ppm
PH - 7.4
GH - 14dgk
KH - 4dkh
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 40ppm

123193376_10217831320602795_2217970931360721452_o.jpg

Edited by TooManySnakes

Ah ok. I haven't had much experience with Columnaris but I have been reading that Triple Sulfa works. Since it spreads quickly, I would probably treat the entire tank, but maybe someone who has experience with this bacterial infection can be more helpful. 

• Thanks 1

As an update, I have decided to pull the symptomatic fish (5/~50) and place them in the quarantine aquarium. I then dosed as follows: 

qt aquarium (10g) - 1 packet triple sulfa / 1 tablespoon of salt per 3 gallons 

Main aquarium (29g) - 3 packets triple sulfa / 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons 

I plan to follow the dosing instructions on the triple sulfa which are as follows: 

“ For each 10 gallons of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses. Then make a final 25% water change and add fresh activated carbon or replace filter cartridge.“ 

I'm now on day three of treatment 

I have been dosing as was described in the previous post and completed the prescribed 25% water changes today. 

Only 1 additional fish lose in the main display tank which was a very small individual. No loses of symptomatic fish. 

Keeping an eye on things. I have a feeling I will know more about the effectiveness of the treatment ~5 days post treatment. 

• Like 2