Saltwater Stocking list 15gal

FrozenFins

Alright so I know this is a freshwater fourm but I am hoping that there are some saltwater scrubs out their that can help me with my question,

I am setting up my first  saltwater tank (15gal reef tank), and I wanted to make sure that the fish I want for it isn't too much

-Clownfish x2

-Bangai Cardinals or some kind of damsel x3

-Dottyback

-Somekind of shrimp (bulseye pistol shrimp or somekind of cleaner shrimp)

If you think this too much, please tell me what you would get rid of 

Thanks guys,

James

• Like 1

I last kept saltwater fish back in the 1970s so my experience is a little stale. If it were me if would start with a couple clownfish (and nothing else) as these are fairly hardy.

If you want to be successful, go slowly. It will take while to learn the in and outs of the testing, making salt water, etc. related to keeping a saltwater tank.

And while you are on the steep early learning curve, the greater the number of pets you subject to your learning, the greater the chance one or more will suffer (and foul the aquarium).

If I remember correctly, @FishTankBarn used to breed clownfish and might have some useful insights?

I would say that your stocking list doesn't seem bad. The one thing I would say is what type of clownfish are you thinking of? Some clowns such as tomatoes and maroons can get aggressive towards other fish, especially if they have laid eggs, which is a good chance happening at one point if you buy two, if you don't know about clownfish and their sex changing, research its quite interesting. 

I'm not sure how many people on here also keep saltwater tanks, I still have one, I have always had one at one point or another for the last 15 years, but I stopped keeping corals after I lost an entire tankful while I was on vacation, so fish only with live rock for me now.  

Be sure to post updates as you put this together, I would like to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would say that your stocking list doesn't seem bad. The one thing I would say is what type of clownfish are you thinking of? Some clowns such as tomatoes and maroons can get aggressive towards other fish, especially if they have laid eggs, which is a good chance happening at one point if you buy two, if you don't know about clownfish and their sex changing, research its quite interesting. 

I'm not sure how many people on here also keep saltwater tanks, I still have one, I have always had one at one point or another for the last 15 years, but I stopped keeping corals after I lost an entire tankful while I was on vacation, so fish only with live rock for me now.  

Be sure to post updates as you put this together, I would like to see.

I will probably do occelrie (is that how you spell it?) Clownfish. And i will definitely give you updates. If you have Instagram you can follow @hooked.on.fish.aquatics_ for more updates.

Thanks a lot

22 hours ago, James Black said:

Alright so I know this is a freshwater fourm but I am hoping that there are some saltwater scrubs out their that can help me with my question,

I am setting up my first  saltwater tank (15gal reef tank), and I wanted to make sure that the fish I want for it isn't too much

-Clownfish x2

-Bangai Cardinals or some kind of damsel x3

-Dottyback

-Somekind of shrimp (bulseye pistol shrimp or somekind of cleaner shrimp)

If you think this too much, please tell me what you would get rid of 

Thanks guys,

James

James, 

Here are my thoughts,  I have done saltwater for a lot years.  

-  Your stocking list is quite heavy for saltwater, remember they need a lot more space than FW 

-  I would do either the clowns or the bangaii, the clowns are hardier.   Don't do damsels they can be quite aggressive. 

-  Dottybacks are hyper aggressive so you could do them but no other fish in the tank.  

-  The shrimp would be fine .... just research your fish and the species of shrimp and fish and make sure they go together.  

Also, what are you doing for filtration, skimmer, etc. on this system. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, FishTankBarn said:

James, 

Here are my thoughts,  I have done saltwater for a lot years.  

-  Your stocking list is quite heavy for saltwater, remember they need a lot more space than FW 

-  I would do either the clowns or the bangaii, the clowns are hardier.   Don't do damsels they can be quite aggressive. 

-  Dottybacks are hyper aggressive so you could do them but no other fish in the tank.  

-  The shrimp would be fine .... just research your fish and the species of shrimp and fish and make sure they go together.  

Also, what are you doing for filtration, skimmer, etc. on this system. 

Thanks for the help. Idk what kinda filtration i will use, any suggestions? I was told i wouldn't need a skimmer in a nano aquarium.

3 hours ago, James Black said:

Thanks for the help. Idk what kinda filtration i will use, any suggestions? I was told i wouldn't need a skimmer in a nano aquarium.

I wouldn't worry too much about a skimmer unless you're getting into corals or have an overstocked tank, and do regular water changes.

I always would say a sump with plenty of biological filtration in it, but since the tank is smaller, I would say a good hang on back such as an Aquaclear or even a small canister would be good. I have a 20 long saltwater running now with a pair of black ice snowflake clowns and some shrimp and snails and run a aquaclear 30 I believe on it and one of the med size sponge filters from the co-op. I also have about 20-25lbs of live rocks in there. 

21 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I wouldn't worry too much about a skimmer unless you're getting into corals or have an overstocked tank, and do regular water changes.

I always would say a sump with plenty of biological filtration in it, but since the tank is smaller, I would say a good hang on back such as an Aquaclear or even a small canister would be good. I have a 20 long saltwater running now with a pair of black ice snowflake clowns and some shrimp and snails and run a aquaclear 30 I believe on it and one of the med size sponge filters from the co-op. I also have about 20-25lbs of live rocks in there. 

I would agree.  They do make some hang in the refugiums as well.

• Like 1