Fish identification!!! Please help!!

Rellad

I’m not the least bit certain on any of them, but the first 2 pics make me think of the pupfish group.  I can’t do any better than that, but I’ll tag some that might.  @Fish Folk, @Biotope Biologist, @OnlyGenusCaps for starters.  If they can’t figure it out, they will tag others to help if help hasn’t already come along by then.

Hah!  See?  I knew help would be along shortly!  Looks like @Adam Swarbrickhas it exactly right!

• Like 1

Just here to confirm both @Adam Swarbrick and @Rellad 

Top images: Xenotoca eiseni

Bottom images: Heterandria formosa

Don’t see goodeids very often anymore but they used to be quite popular livebearers. They are relatives of the pupfish too!

Edited by Biotope Biologist
What are vowels even in latin?!?
  • Like 4

^ Agreed ^

Xenotoca doadrioi (Redtail Goodeid) from Mexico. Male colored up. Message me if you are in USA and want females.

3CF71CAA-50CC-4B1A-89A0-EDD0E784C297.jpeg.7a73becdba4399a5820e2380e1d74507.jpeg

Heterandria formosa (Least Killifish) Florida Livebearers. Will drop fry 1x a day if healthy and not stressed. Males have gonopodium (very bottom, pictured).

259025A2-AEF3-419E-A8B1-9D7D9D5DEBA4.jpeg.907b99289b26e65c7dd463abe030cdcc.jpeg 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:29 AM, Fish Folk said:

^ Agreed ^

Xenotoca doadrioi (Redtail Goodeid) from Mexico. Male colored up. Message me if you are in USA and want females.

3CF71CAA-50CC-4B1A-89A0-EDD0E784C297.jpeg.7a73becdba4399a5820e2380e1d74507.jpeg

Do you know if doadrioi is the new latin name and eiseni is the dead name? I’ve seen it written as both or either. 

Maybe that will help @Adam Swarbrick find them easier, I’m not certain how prevalent these fish are or were in the UK.

• Like 1

The long answer is probably buried here. It has been a lively discussion between taxonomists.

I _think_ maybe X. doadrioi were separated out from X. eiseni. This could well be X. eiseni. I’m reasonably sure they cross populate.

This male looks incredible. I wonder if he came from Greg Sage’s line?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1