We have tadpoles!

Patrick_G

So exciting! What is the development rate like on this species? We kept two kinds of tadpoles as kids (brought in from the yard in S. Florida) the little black ones would grow legs seemingly overnight and were ready to hop away in a matter of a week or two, while the big thumb-sized grey/green tadpoles took forever. 

• Like 1

The  flat heater only raised the temp to the low-mid 70s. I tried a regular 50 Aqueon and it’s also not raising temps over 75. It’s weird since it’s only ~1 gallon of water. I’m going to double check with another thermometer then maybe try a bigger heater. I’d really like to get the temp up to so their little metabolisms get going, but not accidentally overheat and kill them. 

On 12/11/2022 at 4:08 PM, PineSong said:

So exciting! What is the development rate like on this species? We kept two kinds of tadpoles as kids (brought in from the yard in S. Florida) the little black ones would grow legs seemingly overnight and were ready to hop away in a matter of a week or two, while the big thumb-sized grey/green tadpoles took forever. 

It’s a bit hard to find info on their development cycle, I’ll have to do some more research. It’s been a month since the first eggs hatched, although I think the surviving tads might be from hatches that are about 3 weeks old. 

Edited by Patrick_G

You could try applying bubble wrap to the non-viewing sides of the tank.  Just dampen the sides and apply the smooth side to the tank.  Have it cut to size, first, of course.  If you don’t have a lid on it, then add a lid.  Lids hold in a lot of heat.  Does it have a light?  Lights generate heat (either the bulb or the ballast depending on the type of light).  Cute little tads, for sure!  Vinegar eels are your tad’s friends - like to stay at the surface and live for days (up to a week or more) in fresh water.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:54 AM, Odd Duck said:

Cute little tads, for sure!  Vinegar eels are your tad’s friends - like to stay at the surface and live for days (up to a week or more) in fresh water.

They really loved your vinegar eels, thanks! I almost depleted the liquid culture, but it should be full in time for the next batch of eggs.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:12 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

This is the part that scares the crap out of me in smaller QT!

I know! I’d rather have them slightly cooler than optimal in their current situation than too hot in the new tank. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...