We have tadpoles!

Patrick_G

I heard my wife shouting from her home office yesterday. “Tadpoles!” Lucky for her there’s a big old NERM in the house. I grabbed my aquarium co-op specimen container, a handful of Java moss and my brine shrimp net. I’ve never seen African Dwarf frog tadpoles before, they are extremely small. Luckily we were able to catch 7 and get them into the container with some water from the tank. I’m hoping the Java moss has enough micro food to keep them alive for a while. Our aquarium club has an auction today so I hope I can score a vinegar eel culture or some green water. The next few days will be touch and go. 

4DA8B699-473E-42D9-B994-908B3838BDA7.jpeg

E5D2156F-8E25-4299-B9E2-1619CF207AAB.jpeg

132B4ACA-86BC-489B-BCB9-E1B63A2FBF8A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 14

On 11/12/2022 at 8:26 AM, Anjum said:

Awesome!! Were there eggs in there you never saw or were you expecting/hoping the frogs were breeding?? 

We’ve been hoping for tads for years but we never put much effort into it and didn’t really know what the eggs look like. This was a fun surprise. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It’s been over a week now since the first tads hatched. At this point we have over 20 in the container, but we’re losing them at the rate of about two per day. The problem seems to be getting food in front of them, they don’t seem to actively seek food like fish fry do. I think the best thing would be to raise them in green water so they’re surrounded by micro critters. At this point I’m just hoping that I can get a few to survive. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

Firstly @Patrick_GI’m sorry about the losses I know your fishwife was hoping beyond hope for some babies. This issue with their feeding makes total sense as the way they hunt is very much they just stumble onto food. I’m bummed about the rate of loss. Maybe I need to give you a gallon of green water that you could just saturate them in it? Happy to oblige. Fingers crossed 🤞 and toes too. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/21/2022 at 11:07 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Firstly @Patrick_GI’m sorry about the losses I know your fishwife was hoping beyond hope for some babies. This issue with their feeding makes total sense as the way they hunt is very much they just stumble onto food. I’m bummed about the rate of loss. Maybe I need to give you a gallon of green water that you could just saturate them in it? Happy to oblige. Fingers crossed 🤞 and toes too. 

I wish you were a little closer, I’d take you up in the offer. 

Luckily @Odd Duckis sending me some cultures of vinegar eels and micro worms. Hopefully they’ll eat some of those. 

On 11/21/2022 at 11:35 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Patrick_Gi think we can work together on this as I do have some vinegar eels and maybe we can get some infusoria going too. I’ll need the same tools for the puffer fry so I’m highly interested. 

Sounds good. Between the two of us we should be able to get some micro foods going! 

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I’m ordering a paramecium culture. I’d love to have some scuds and black worms too. 

I just bought some black worms, but my wife poured them all into her frog tank! 😆 oh, well at least there’s a chance they’ll start to reproduce in there. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

The tads have grown quite a bit but they're still small. It's hard to get them to take live baby brine shrimp since most of the shrimp sink and the tads like to float on the surface. They seem to eat a few when a shrimp  is wiggling right in their face.

The temp in the specimen container only reaches 75-77 so I think they need to move to a small tank of their own.  I broke down a 3-gallon planted nano cube and set it up as a shallow frog tank. I added a piece of Anubias Nana, some floaters and a little heater.  Hopefully the little heater will keep it at 78 degrees. 

The last pic is of the adult frog’s tank. 

D9B5FF28-5A38-458D-9A64-46712728BA6A.jpeg

D6FDF962-F90E-41E2-9C5E-E80D6160A38D.jpeg

783B0B67-D84D-4C7F-8EB2-301B3E9E94B1.jpeg

F6A7F17A-B47F-427D-9D81-1684CEEF00B1.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 2
  • Love 4