New aquarist looking for tank

Jerry LM

I have looked and didn't see my question although I am sure it's been asked so please excuse if so, I have no tank and am interested in getting started, what should I be looking for glass, or acrylic and can anyone suggest a online source? I live in a rural area with no shop. Thank you for any suggestions......Jerry

I had a similar situation. I live pretty far from any place that sells tanks. I've been lucky and had two glass tanks delivered with no issues. One 5 gallon from Amazon and a 12 long from Bulk Reef Supply. I only have one small acrylic tank and it's a BiOrb, so I feel like it might be more of it's own thing. Acrylic is lighter, bonds tighter, and is clearer. Acrylic also scratches easier, like wiping it with a paper towel will put micro scratches on it. Some Wal-Mart's carry glass 55 gallon kits, and almost all of them have 5s and 10s. 

22 hours ago, Jerry LM said:

I have looked and didn't see my question although I am sure it's been asked so please excuse if so, I have no tank and am interested in getting started, what should I be looking for glass, or acrylic and can anyone suggest a online source? I live in a rural area with no shop. Thank you for any suggestions......Jerry

Often times, the pet big box stores will offer free shipping on their 10-20 gallon aquarium starter kits, if you just want to try the hobby out, etc.  Good time of year, since the deals should be getting better & better.  

I live far away from a pet store  and I have found 10 gallon to 55 gallon at Walmart if you live in the states if they do not have in the store you could order online and have it .. where it is shipped to your local store and where you can pick up .. They are pretty good .. but I always test it before i set it up for leaks ..

usually they come as a kit .. the other stuff in the kit might not be the best equipment  but the tank is usually pretty good 

Edited by Bev Casto
  • Like 1