Shipped in Pleco Eggs for Hatching

Fish Folk

Dear NERMs! I am thrilled to share this post with you. Enjoy this!

(1) Here is how the hatchery looked this afternoon…

(2) Here is a photo of the flow-through tray in proximity to the hatchery…

F8143138-5099-4997-932A-0DEB8165AC63.jpeg.78f73ed979f5b87bb3541a70d0ca5efe.jpeg

(3) Carefully, I moved the hatchery over to the tray. Here’s a video of the wigglers…

(4) Now, here is the aftermath of releasing them into the tray, with some explanations…

(5) And here is their finished digs…

• Love 8

I call that a successful hatch! 🥳

I always throw leaves in with them. The first few days after they absorb the yolk they seem to prefer biofilm to anything else. (Sure you already know that🤗)

I cannot be more thrilled with the success you have had with hatching this batch. Now I feel confident to be able to share the eggs!

Thank you for such a detailed account of this. 

• Like 3

On 11/13/2022 at 12:58 PM, Fish Folk said:

(5) And here is their finished digs…

I appreciate all the detail you're giving with the clips and stuff.  A lot of us might never get to experience this and I am really enjoying seeing it so well

Not a joke, but slightly funny.

I was staring at my tank and thinking to myself earlier, "well, what am I going to do with all these eggshells everywhere for the ones that don't hatch?" 

It's fine..... I just need some rest and coffee. LOL *takes a sip of coffee*

Off to go try to do that water change.... I think I have a decent plan.

Oh I was going to say. Add some wood if you can.  I think Dean, and many others, has reported that it's very helpful to success.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2022 at 10:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

I call that a successful hatch! 🥳

I always throw leaves in with them. The first few days after they absorb the yolk they seem to prefer biofilm to anything else. (Sure you already know that🤗)

I cannot be more thrilled with the success you have had with hatching this batch. Now I feel confident to be able to share the eggs!

Thank you for such a detailed account of this. 

I tend to put them in a grow out tank and throw in a couple of food tablets once the yolk has been entirely absorbed & they've started exploring.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk I appreciate the videos and the narrative. It's fascinating to follow along, and I love the fry container that you made. It's nice & neat. I wonder how you got the styrofoam so neat. Mine always sheds a bunch of beads when I try to cut it. Are you pushing water into the fry box with a fountain pump or are you just allowing water to swish in & out through the coarse sponge?

• Like 2

On 11/14/2022 at 8:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Fish Folk I appreciate the videos and the narrative. It's fascinating to follow along, and I love the fry container that you made. It's nice & neat. I wonder how you got the styrofoam so neat. Mine always sheds a bunch of beads when I try to cut it. Are you pushing water into the fry box with a fountain pump or are you just allowing water to swish in & out through the coarse sponge?

Thanks! I just cut my styro collar from panel insulation I get at Lowes. I cut really slowly and deliberately. But I think @tolstoy21 has a much better cutting system!

I just let water flow through. The airstone creates enough agitation that enough water flows through the sponges to balance out the chemistry.  

• Like 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea@Fish Folk

I use a hot-wire-cutter I got off Amazon.

You can get these as cutting tables or hand-held cutters depending on your needs. They make amazingly super-clean, precise cuts and are used regularly in arts-n-crafts for people who work with foam.  

They cut through foam like the foam were made out of butter.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I put the IAL in right away so there’s good biofilm ready when the yolks are absorbed.  I do get some floating plants in there, too.  I prefer red root floaters over frogbit because frogbit roots get longer than I want in my breeding net.  I also put at least one or two small pieces of well-seasoned wood in immediately, following along with @Dean’s Fishroom.  I like using cholla that is softened enough I can split it open and make tiny hides.  The babies really like to get between layers of the IAL’s so I use at least 2-3 small pieces.  I put the breeder net in front of the outflow on an HOB so it pushes a very gentle flow of water through the net.  I also try to get a couple bladder snails or a ramshorn snail into the breeder net for clean up of any food the babies haven’t eaten once you’re feeding them (for anybody that hasn’t done this before).  I know you like your snail crew, @Fish Folk.  They’re so helpful, aren’t they?  Thanks for sharing the videos.  The little babies popcorning around is absolutely charming!

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Here’s a Good News / Bad News / Good News Taco…

(1) There seems to be an excellent core of BNP fry growing out successfully…

(2) Sadly, I’ve been experiencing about 10-12x deaths each day…

0B6CE57B-6428-456B-9089-AA3237456EF7.jpeg.c336a3398426621f6311bfcb61bdc05b.jpeg

392E564A-910F-4D4C-95C5-96BC6AA530E3.jpeg.df5474361b1d38a5c28173fbe4edb871.jpeg

I’m not sure why.

(3) Per ye olde NERMish advice, I’ve added established wood and Catappa leaves…

(4) I’m going to add a snail… and maybe a pinch of Spirulina…

85AE191C-B3C3-4F19-BA42-BD21841E01C2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I use sera Micron. It seems to coat surfaces. I definitely have better luck in anything not a sterile grow out. Tends to be the yuckier (with excellent water) the higher survival. 
They have not absorbed their yolk yet though. I wonder if at the discus temp they need more air maybe?  Just a guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1