Anyone have the Aquatop Pisces series? Thoughts, opinions and can you mod the filter?

xXInkedPhoenixX

Hey all, I'm looking at potentially getting a 5 gallon Aquatop Pisces, but I might just go with one of their cubes and build my own tank so to speak- haven't decided. I like the idea of an all in one tank but never been ENTIRELY happy with most of them. Pumps fail, filtration is wonky, cleaning can be a bit of a PIA. Wonder if any of you have one? If you do what do you like or dislike about it?

Also have you modified the internal filter? Is it possible to do so? (I realize there are YouTube videos, but I'd rather get "real" user opinions on the tanks)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

*obligatory comment to point you towards pecktec and long term reviews!*

I know most of the aquatop stuff is pretty good.  However, with a small size tank I would think that it would be better if you could get something bigger.  Pumps are typically an issue, but the most common issue is intake and output and how those relate to the stuff in the tank.  Almost always the grate is the wrong size, not big enough, and as mentioned almost impossible to work on. 

You might be better off trying to mod a hang-on filter (like the one @Chick-In-Of-TheSea mentioned as the marina HOB) or modding something like the hang-on breeder box with a pump so you can more easily get to the pump / maintenance in the situation you're looking at.  I think they do make hang-on overflows and stuff like that?  I would think a specimen container and the sicce syncra nano also works (can be used internal or external to the tank and works for this size.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Yes I have the Aquatop Pisces cube and rectangle. I really like them. On page 47 in my journal I show unboxing the first cube I got and assembly. 

Super easy. Great light. I was pleased enough with the cube I went and got the rectangle a few months later. I never met a kit tank I did not hate until these.  

My little LFS has all three set up. They are an Aquatop dealer. The half moon one never looks right in person I would not get that one. The rectangle the side without the filter the glass is rounded rather than put together corners with seals. Really neat. 

Filters come with bio rings and of course cartridges that I took out and put sponge in. 

The out flow is a flattened nozzle that rotates and swivels so can be adjusted to desired flow. I really like them!  

Mine are snail breeding so not fancy decorated. 

Edit to add- the pump is similar to a pump in a cat water dish. The entire pump, tube and outflow  lifts completely out by just popping the lid to clean. No need to take the entire filter off. 

If you need a softer flow just zip tie a sponge prefilter on the nozzle it’s very easy. I can’t say there is anything I dislike about them. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Love 1

On 11/10/2022 at 6:27 AM, Guppysnail said:

Yes I have the Aquatop Pisces cube and rectangle. I really like them. On page 47 in my journal I show unboxing the first cube I got and assembly. 

Super easy. Great light. I was pleased enough with the cube I went and got the rectangle a few months later. I never met a kit tank I did not hate until these.  

My little LFS has all three set up. They are an Aquatop dealer. The half moon one never looks right in person I would not get that one. The rectangle the side without the filter the glass is rounded rather than put together corners with seals. Really neat. 

Filters come with bio rings and of course cartridges that I took out and put sponge in. 

The out flow is a flattened nozzle that rotates and swivels so can be adjusted to desired flow. I really like them!  

Mine are snail breeding so not fancy decorated. 

Do you think, with the expense of the kit, it evens out vs buying all the stuff separately?

it’s funny how I like the $1/gallon sale but then when you buy all the stuff it’s like $$$$

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Here you go. Lights are out I used the overhead lights to get quick photos for you. They are near the floor and under other tanks so hard to get internal filter photos. But when sitting there easy to clean. Please pay no attention to lack of attention to making them look pretty. They are snail breeders. I have the lids on backwards they actually sit in very nicely  when you put them on right 🤣

81E6656B-F576-4883-A782-12AA7426E57A.jpeg

39CC7FE0-D712-4CF0-8DC9-B89D4BAF7D60.jpeg

4F0D92F7-E438-4161-81F2-1D6DD30A4E88.jpeg

82272337-C2F5-4B29-981B-6BDFDF55042F.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Guppysnail for your testimonial. I really love my Aquatop cube and am debating the 7 gallon one and the 5 gallon Pisces. I think they make a quality product and the reviews I've seen for the Pisces have been good overall. I like "plain" tanks just fine but when one is building a "display" tank especially when they are small I'd like something just a little different looking than the norm. @nabokovfan87, totally get it, most kit tanks are trash but there's got to be a decent one out there especially when you modify them- theoretically yes you shouldn't have to but the companies are also keeping in mind ease of use, let alone ongoing revenue from the filters. My Fluval Flex has worked out fine- but it's not a perfect animal- reminds me of the kit tank I bought in the beginning with the plastic hood and crappy light- but this Aquatop looks like a step up- most are saying the light is good- the pump isn't ridiculously expensive to replace (unlike the Flex which I did have to replace but found an aftermarket pump instead because of the $$$ Fluval asked for a new one). Aquatop glass is gorgeous too. The 7 gallon cube is 85 bucks with a lid so I'm already well on my way to the cost of a Pisces without a light, pump, filter, etc. So I haven't decided yet....

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Dredging up an oldish thread but thought this was the best place to ask. Has anyone with the Aquatop Pisces been able to open the filter compartment with the bio rings in them? I assumed you could pop it open to clean it out (I am looking to swap them out personally!) but it seems to be permanently sealed.

**UPDATE - lol! I figured it out. The top of the compartment slides right out. Glad I solved it before I broke it.

Edited by MrGrieves
  • Like 1