Hillstream Loach ID

Cinnebuns

Looking for a hillstream loach ID. Bought this as reticulated but am realizing it's not only much larger than the others but has different markings. Looking closer at the 4 others, it's possible I even have 3 different types of hillstream?  That part I'm not 100% sure on though. I would like to know if they are able to hybridize too if anyone knows. 

I have pics of 3 of the 5. The double pic is the same 2 fish as the other pics.

20221107_202120.jpg

20221107_203201.jpg

20221107_203043.jpg

20221107_203115.jpg

• Like 2

Out of my depth here . . . 

To my eye, the lower photos appear like the Sewellia lineolata (Tiger Hillstream Loach), You can also read a careful description of its appearance under NOTES on this link: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sewellia-lineolata/

Your larger, top photo _might_ be a "spotted" Sewellia species. I ran a Google translate function on this page: https://www.aquariumglaser.de/fischarchiv/sewellia_sp_spotted_de/

"This very attractive fin sucker species, which has probably not yet been scientifically described, comes from Vietnam. It is vaguely reminiscent of Sewellia lineolata, but its dot pattern is finer and the "side stripes" characteristic of S. lineolata are missing. Like all fin suckers, they come from fast-flowing waters, where they live in e.g. T. graze algae-covered stones. For their aquarium keeping, this means that they place increased demands on the water quality and the oxygen content. A filter that creates a strong current, larger stones that are as rounded as possible and strong lighting (algae growth!) are advantageous for keeping. As growth eaters, they should not be fed too lavishly; in any case, supplementary vegetable food is important."

• Like 2

The bottom photos do look like the more commonly discussed sewellia lineolata, the reticulated hillstream loach.  The first one looks a bit like the ones I have in my 20L, which I think is Beaufortia kweichowensis, often called the butterfly loach or chinese hillstream loach.  It is almost certainly a different species than the others.

• Like 2

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea not quite my friend. Mine is tan with just black polka dots that arent distorted/mostly uniform unlike @Cinnebuns's. Also doesn't have the striping down the sides on the tail. Besides that I would be no help- I have no clue what kind of loach Kirby is other than "Hillstream" per the label on the tank at the LFS when I got them. 

hillstream pattern.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

On 11/8/2022 at 3:43 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Looking for a hillstream loach ID. Bought this as reticulated but am realizing it's not only much larger than the others but has different markings. Looking closer at the 4 others, it's possible I even have 3 different types of hillstream?  That part I'm not 100% sure on though. I would like to know if they are able to hybridize too if anyone knows. 

I have pics of 3 of the 5. The double pic is the same 2 fish as the other pics.

20221107_202120.jpg

20221107_203201.jpg

20221107_203043.jpg

20221107_203115.jpg

I agree with @Fish Folk, the bottom 3 pics are showing tiger hillstream loaches (very fun to breed!) and the top one is called a 'leopard' in my LFS. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I agree with @Fish Folk, the bottom 3 pics are showing tiger hillstream loaches (very fun to breed!) and the top one is called a 'leopard' in my LFS. 

That's the ID I got a lot on Facebook too is tiger. The ID I got the most for the other is Chinese butterfly. I got then all from aquahuna several months ago and ordered "reticulated."  Maybe tiger is their reticulated and I got the butterfly by mistake because they do sell those too. I would mention it to them but it's been like 2 or 3 months so whatever lol. The only part that sucks is it lowers my breeding chances. I only started actively trying to breed them while I have an empty fry tnak waiting on births. Usually I don't actively try to.