Anyone has experience with 60 gal. tank?

eatyourpeas

As some of my critters are approaching the 3 year mark, I am starting to consider not continuing with their nano tanks and consolidating all tanks into one.

I am contemplating a 60 gal. shallow that has a 4 ft. footprint (48.5" L X 18.5" W X 16.25" H). Does anyone maintain such a tank? Any advice?

It will be heavily planted (non-negotiable) so multis will not be considered. Elmer (CAE) will go there, as well as any other critters that are alive at that point. I suspect this transition will happen about 6 to 8 months from now.

My SW has a similar aspect ratio and I love how much of the tank activity can be enjoyed at this size. This will give me just two tanks to look after.

image.jpeg.fbdd62517c34e543cc71318aae85fa05.jpeg

Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 11/7/2022 at 8:57 AM, JettsPapa said:

Hello,

I don't have a 60 gallon tank, but I have a 65 (same footprint as a 40 gallon breeder tank but taller).  What information are you looking for?

Since this is in the very early stages of planning, any information regarding stocking, mostly. I have a Chinese Algae Eater that will go in there, some Corydoras (I have a little Pygmy that follows Elmer everywhere), a Kuhli Loach, WCMM, shrimp and snails. My Pea Puffers are getting old and I will not be getting more. I doubt the CPDs and other nano fish would be around either, due to their projected lifespan.

I am flexible when it comes to adjusting filtration to accommodate the inhabitants, and will probably include areas of high flow. 🙂

Edited by eatyourpeas

As far as stocking, I'd start with getting more Corydoras pygmaeus.  I'd add at least ten, but you could get many more than that if you want (depending on your other stocking).

I have shoals of Lake Kutubu rainbowfish (aka turquoise rainbowfish), lemon tetras, and black neon tetras in my 65, along with two Bolivian rams.  I'm pretty happy with it, so that might give you some ideas.

As far as filtration, I have an AquaClear 70 HOB and a good-sized sponge filter.  It seems to work fine.

• Thanks 1

I'd get more kuhli - so you have a total of at least 10; i'd get rid of the chinese algae eater as it is going to cause issues going forward. I avoid bolvian rams; and consider 5 keyholes cichlid or if you want something more colourful a pair of Laetacara species such as araguaiae. I'm a fan of kubotai rasobra for the top as they are very active with lots of motion. I generally dislike most rainbows - black neon are nice or conversely cardinals or serape tetra (not all). A bit depends on if you get cichild and expect them to actually breed as some of these tetra are famous fry hunters keeping score cards on the wall.

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:06 AM, eatyourpeas said:

Since this is in the very early stages of planning, any information regarding stocking, mostly. I have a Chinese Algae Eater that will go in there, some Corydoras (I have a little Pygmy that follows Elmer everywhere), a Kuhli Loach, WCMM, shrimp and snails. My Pea Puffers are getting old and I will not be getting more. I doubt the CPDs and other nano fish would be around either, due to their projected lifespan.

The 60 should be similar to the 55 but slightly taller.  Or is it the same as a 75 but slightly shorter...? (checking my sheet)

Alright AWESOME.  It's the right footprint.  You're working with what amounts to a "short" 75G tank.  This helps too when you're trying to find a stand and stuff if you need to.  I was going to comment that if you have a CAE, please try to get a 75 because you'll need the added room and depth of the tank front to back.

As far as that footprint for a tank, adding 30-50+ corydoras is a great time with that size of a tank.  I started with 4, ended up with 30+ once they had the larger floor space.  I had WCMM, Odessa Barbs, Tiger Barbs, and a good plethora of plecos and other things springled in there. 

Considering everything you have going into the tank, getting the scape (and flow) right is going to be the difficult part.  Setting it up with a spraybar or something that runs the length of the tank helps a lot with circulation.  You can run it on air with 2 sponge filters without much issue as well.  I would also recommend looking at the ziss bubble bio if you think that's an option because it works well with that length of a tank and usually fits really nicely under the brace (or sides) and gives the tank a lot of strong bacteria to boost up your biological.

Edited by nabokovfan87
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I was going to comment that if you have a CAE, please try to get a 75 because you'll need the added room and depth of the tank front to back.

I could build the tank to add the depth but definitely would not want the height. I am contemplating canister filter with spray bar, as well as ACO Powerhead with sponge filter for added flow. I have it in my SW tank and love it. Definitely air stones for added O2 bubbles.

I like the idea of more Corydoras, but am staying away from Kuhli loaches. I want fish that are diurnal. 🙂 WCMM are on the list. Currently looking into Dwarf Anchor fish assuming Elmer would not harass them. He is slated to be the king of the tank, after all. 🤪

On 11/7/2022 at 3:44 PM, Patrick_G said:

I've been considering one of these tanks since they started stocking them at petco. It has the same footprint as a standard 75 but it's shorter so it should be easier to grow plants and easier to clean/maintain. For nano fish and one CAE it seems perfect. 

I hope so. I love shallow tanks, so this one seems to satisfy that criterion. I have not seen them in person yet, but plan on a trip to Petco to have a look. I need to spoil the water puppy!🙃

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 3:03 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I could build the tank to add the depth but definitely would not want the height. I am contemplating canister filter with spray bar, as well as ACO Powerhead with sponge filter for added flow. I have it in my SW tank and love it. Definitely air stones for added O2 bubbles.

I think you're doing everything fine.  the 60 should be perfect.

• Like 1