New magenta mystery snail clutch.

TeeJay

On 12/1/2022 at 7:31 AM, Guppysnail said:

They are so stinking cute at this size..ok any size but especially when small. 

Yes I agree. I just don't stress about it now like before. Just change water everyday when I get home from work and give food until the next day. I think they will still be ok in there for a couple more weeks. No big spikes in the tank now so I want to keep them in there as long as I can before moving them. So Tiny with my fat fingers to smoosh them on accident when it's tile to move lol

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

Moving the tiny babies I can only imagine would be daunting with man hands. Even with my girl hands it is crazy nerve racking. I use my shrimp nets when I transfer as much as possible. A tiny nudge with the net over them and they close up so are easy to net. 

Right that's always my fear with moving any snail. Three little suction power to whatever there attached to.

On 12/1/2022 at 8:13 AM, TeeJay said:

Right that's always my fear with moving any snail. Three little suction power to whatever there attached to.

What works really great is a soup spoon, plastic. Also, you can turkey baster the ones that aren’t suctioned. Or put Java moss and they will attach to the moss. Then just move the moss.

A8A66F72-92AF-49D3-B2FA-401185C22B45.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I got a submersible light in for the tote tank yesterday. Since to tote has a solid green lid I need something that could go on the inside. So I went with an 8w hygger submersible one. Added some guppy grass and hornwort to help keep the water clean. There is 0 ammonia and nitrites. Sitting at around 20-25 nitrates. So it should be in good shape for the new snails. I don't think it will be much longer before some will start moving in. I'll keep an eye out for ones that are getting bigger than others and start moving them over as needed  

IMG_20221203_100922999.jpg

IMG_20221203_101112681.jpg

IMG_20221203_101122474.jpg

• Love 1

On 12/3/2022 at 10:38 AM, TeeJay said:

So I got a submersible light in for the tote tank yesterday. Since to tote has a solid green lid I need something that could go on the inside. So I went with an 8w hygger submersible one. Added some guppy grass and hornwort to help keep the water clean. There is 0 ammonia and nitrites. Sitting at around 20-25 nitrates. So it should be in good shape for the new snails. I don't think it will be much longer before some will start moving in. I'll keep an eye out for ones that are getting bigger than others and start moving them over as needed  

IMG_20221203_100922999.jpg

IMG_20221203_101112681.jpg

IMG_20221203_101122474.jpg

That light is doing a nice job.

• Like 1

So I got some pics of the snail babies. There horrible but I got some. Just did the water change and put some fresh northfin fry food in for them. I may try and move a few over to the tote tank after work tomorrow since I have to close tonight. If not I have wed and Thurs off this upcoming week to start the move process.

IMG_20221203_154733621.jpg

IMG_20221203_154746097.jpg

IMG_20221203_154808218.jpg

IMG_20221203_154817704.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 12/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

That light is doing a nice job.

Yes it's not a bad little light for 15 bucks. It was missing one of the suction cups tho. I sent an email to hygger but I'm sure I'll probably not hear back. But the light itself is very light so I just slid the bracket with the one cup to the center of the light and put it on the inside top of the lid. If it starts to slip and fall I'll just place it in the bottom of the tote. But it has 4 brightness settings and the 24/hr mode so it was a great deal.

• Like 1

So did the regular water change on the 2.5 tonight and pulled out about 6 snails and moved them over to the tote tank. Waiting to see if I see anymore cruising the glass this evening before bed. If so I'll try and nab those up and get moved over to the tote tank as well. The small measuring spoon worked pretty well to scoop them out with.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 8:18 PM, TeeJay said:

So did the regular water change on the 2.5 tonight and pulled out about 6 snails and moved them over to the tote tank. Waiting to see if I see anymore cruising the glass this evening before bed. If so I'll try and nab those up and get moved over to the tote tank as well. The small measuring spoon worked pretty well to scoop them out with.

Are you drip acclimating or floating?

Didn't have a chance to make a post this morning. But when I got up and turned on the light I found 12 babies mysteries surfing the glass. So I got them moved over to the tote tank to grow. So by my count I have moved 18 snails to the tote so far. I think the morning time is my best bet to make the move. I'll wait another day or two and make another transfer to the tote take. So right now it's 18 so far! I'm so glad that I have been able to even get them to this point. And honestly if it wasn't for my pic (partner in crime) @Guppysnail I would have never been able to do it. The constant talking with her with each hurtle I have had I know has made the difference in getting this far. 

I would love to maybe try and ship some to 1 or 2 folks that want them eventually. But that's a whole different can of worms. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

• Love 2

On 12/5/2022 at 8:08 PM, Guppysnail said:

I always enjoy the fun of being a P.I.C. 🤗

I got your back when you are ready to ship as well. I would definitely wait until spring if you can. If not I have ways but it’s riskier based on delays in freezing weather. 

Oh yes I would like to make it until at least March. I'm going to check around with the local fish club and see if anyone is looking. Much less stressful if they can just pick them up.

• Like 1

Off the next two days. So gotta get Christmas shopping done and hopefully play around what the new foams for the tidal filter. And of course do so snail stuff. Play around with the tote tank and see if I can get more snails moved over. I've been adding extra guppy grass and hornwort as it gets to be to much in other tanks for the tote.

• Like 2

Well just moved over 13 more snails to the tote grow out tank. So if my numbers are correct that makes 31 in the tote as of right now. Of course after I was done I notice at least 3 more on the glass of the 2.5. it really is a jungle in there right now. The moss hornwort and guppy grass are taking over lol. 

IMG_20221208_120337667.jpg

IMG_20221208_121350401.jpg

• Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good cold afternoon fellow nerms. I know it's been a minute for an update on the snail babies. All is still going well with the little tykes. I just moved 11 more over to the tote tank. So that should be a total of 42 now in there. I don't see to many at once in there but it is a much larger space then the 2.5 they came from. And there still very small. The range in size from grains of rice to almost pea size. But it going well so far. On Monday I'll do a water change on the tote and get some gunk out of the cc and gravel that is scattered around the bottom of the tote.

I did put a green bean in there over about a 24 hours period and all I would left was the plant weight. So they obviously ate some if not all of it. 

IMG_20221217_115528569.jpg

IMG_20221217_120720286.jpg

IMG_20221217_120730032.jpg

• Love 2