New magenta mystery snail clutch.

TeeJay

Came home and checked on the babies today. I can't really see them but Hannah (my daughter) has a knack for seeing tiny things. She counted at least 12 different snails. I know there are way more than that but it's a good start.  My liquid calcium came in today. I only started with 3 drops since it's such a small tank  it hasn't changed the kh much yet. I'm not going to add anymore yet. I want to give it more time before I dump more into the tank. It's a start. 

Added a bit of fry food for them as well. All the water parameters are still looking good. I know in such a small tank it can change very rapidly so I'll keep a close eye on it. It does have a lot of plants. Floating and non floating. The floating plants are growing some nice green alge so at least I know the tank this time around is way more stable than the last.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Water quality is still good this morning. Kh is about the same. I may try a couple more drops of the liquid calcium when I get home from work. Don't want to over do it though. Saw a few babies myself this time. I really need to invest in a magnifying glass lol. Of course I can't get my camera to focus on them to get a picture.

• Like 2

TeeJay! Thank you for allowing us to take part in your journey. How exciting to see all those snabies. My 40 gal is full to the top so i don't think I'll ever have eggs but my 125 is only 3/4 full and hope someday I'll see some in that tank. Your journal will be a great resource for me should that day arrive. 

• Thanks 1

As well I got my liquid calcium mixture figured out for the snail baby tank. Since the cc in a media bag just in the bottom corner of the tank is very very slow to dissolve I did this to help keep a decent kh buffer in the tank. I'll do a 50 percent water change daily and add 2.5ml of liquid calcium with the new water  As well I have a magnifying glass on order that will be here tomorrow to help me actually see the babies 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 12:51 PM, JJenna said:

TeeJay! Thank you for allowing us to take part in your journey. How exciting to see all those snabies. My 40 gal is full to the top so i don't think I'll ever have eggs but my 125 is only 3/4 full and hope someday I'll see some in that tank. Your journal will be a great resource for me should that day arrive. 

I keep my tanks up to the black trim as well. My snails will lay there clutches on the tank lid. Works out well so I don't usually have one hiding somewhere that I don't know about.

• Like 1

So the magnifying glass came in today while I was at work. I have been able to pick out a few snails here and there. Shells seem to be darkening up a bit. It's been 4 days since the hatched. Had some ammonia and nitrites when I tested this evening. So I did a 50% water change to help this out. I think I may have to go to 2 50% water changes a day to be able to keep parameters as stable as I can from feeding the amount of food need for new growing baby snails. 

Even with all of the plants it's still a very small volume of water to keep stable. I'm doing everything I can to get this clutch of snails to the next level and survive longer than a week. I do have one very blurry pic that I believe is one of our new snail babies.

IMG_20221120_173925850~2.jpg

• Like 2

So I checked the parameters in the tote tank. Kh is a solid 80-120 ppm. 0 ammonia and nitrates with 10-15ppm nitrates. We are getting into pretty good shape for when the snail babies are ready to move in. I already have one sunk piece of Driftwood and another floating that should sink within a couple of days. 

Trying to keep the parameters stable enough in the 2.5 until they are big enough to move over to the tote. Going to try and get a submersible tank light for the tote in the next couple of days so I'll have full spectrum light for floating plants to go into the tote tank as well. I have tried to keep what cc and gravel in the tote to the sides so I can keep a good section of the bottom bare so I'll know where they are when I add them in.

• Like 2

Well the second one hatched while I was at work. So I got them into a cup and got the heater going in the tote tank so put them in there. But I was unsuccessful with that clutch.

This first clutch in the 2.5 gallon tank I have been doing one to two times daily water changes on it but never seen much out of the snails. But I am determined to try and make this clutch grow. So when I got my hatchery in that came with a small heater I stuck that into the 2.5. my temps had been staying about 75. I know I had got my kh up from the first time hatching so I was still confused on why I wasn't seeing any snails.

So like I said I put the heater in last night and when I woke up this morning I finally saw for the first time a few snails on the glass and a couple on the plants. So I do have some that have made it. Not sure on a real count yet. They are 8 days old today so I hope to start seeing more activity and can get a count 

• Love 3

Rooting for you and the little snails @TeeJay!  & that’s ok. 2 successful clutches at the same time would have actually been a lot of snails to handle… you’ve got snails from the croissant clutch traveling around and you are providing the best care you can, and following along with those little guys’ journey is very exciting!

Happy Thanksgiving!

On 11/24/2022 at 10:34 AM, TeeJay said:

confused on why I wasn't seeing any snails

Honestly they are just so small at first, and you’ve got a lot of plants in there for them to hide in.

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2022 at 11:54 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Rooting for you and the little snails @TeeJay!  & that’s ok. 2 successful clutches at the same time would have actually been a lot of snails to handle… you’ve got snails from the croissant clutch traveling around and you are providing the best care you can, and following along with those little guys’ journey is very exciting!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Honestly they are just so small at first, and you’ve got a lot of plants in there for them to hide in.

Right I'm just glad I still have se that have made it after a week. We thought it was the kh that messed up the first clutch. But now that I'm looking back I just done think it was warm enough that first time. Now that I moved the tank so it's not on the bottom of the 10 gal Cory tank stand and adding heat live plants and a bag of cc I think we are in way better shape than the first time.

• Like 1

Welcome to coffee with TeeJay .

Yes it's been a little while.been kind of busy doing that adulting thing. So we are 2 weeks in with the new baby snails. I do see them a bit hear and there. They do say pretty hidden most of the time. But they have made it way longer than my first time around. I think with having more kh in the water and some heat has made a huge diffrence  her is a pic not the best but you can see the little magenta shell  I do a daily 50 water change and just feed a rotation of easy fry hikari first bites and northfin fry food. And don't stress just let them do there thing.

IMG_20221201_071911456.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Love 2