New magenta mystery snail clutch.

TeeJay

On 11/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, JohnnyD said:

Good Luck with the baby snails! I am new to the hobby and have a 75 gallon tank that had just shrimps (probably a few dozen) in and decided a few months ago to put 2 Jade mystery snails in. Fast forward and the tank has at least a hundred snails( I did give a friend of mine that keeps fish a bucket of them since there were so many baby snails) and much to my dismay I tested the water yesterday and the ph and hardness barely register on my test strips. I literally just ordered crushed coral to try and increase the ph. I had searched for mystery snails to find out what to do and found your post and I wasn't sure if you were aware but I think all the mystery snails changed the water parameters and wanted to give ya a heads up.

Snails do strip calcium and magnesium from water quick. My tap is liquid rock and I have to add calcium

On 11/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, JohnnyD said:

Good Luck with the baby snails! I am new to the hobby and have a 75 gallon tank that had just shrimps (probably a few dozen) in and decided a few months ago to put 2 Jade mystery snails in. Fast forward and the tank has at least a hundred snails( I did give a friend of mine that keeps fish a bucket of them since there were so many baby snails) and much to my dismay I tested the water yesterday and the ph and hardness barely register on my test strips. I literally just ordered crushed coral to try and increase the ph. I had searched for mystery snails to find out what to do and found your post and I wasn't sure if you were aware but I think all the mystery snails changed the water parameters and wanted to give ya a heads up.

Yes I always have to keep cc in my tanks. I have really high gh but 0 kh out the tap. So I keep cc in my hob and mixed in the substrate.

The first clutch I tried to hatch didn't make it back a couple months ago. It didn't dawn on me at the time that I didn't have any cc in the 2.5 gal I was using for a grow tank for them. Since it was bare bottom it didn't even register to me. So now I have about a quarter pound of it in a media bag in the corner of that tank so it's ready for them.

On 11/12/2022 at 10:00 AM, Guppysnail said:

Snails do strip calcium and magnesium from water quick. My tap is liquid rock and I have to add calcium

Wow that's crazy! 

On 11/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, TeeJay said:

Yes I always have to keep cc in my tanks. I have really high gh but 0 kh out the tap. So I keep cc in my hob and mixed in the substrate.

The first clutch I tried to hatch didn't make it back a couple months ago. It didn't dawn on me at the time that I didn't have any cc in the 2.5 gal I was using for a grow tank for them. Since it was bare bottom it didn't even register to me. So now I have about a quarter pound of it in a media bag in the corner of that tank so it's ready for them.

Never thought about baby snails, they kept making egg clutches all around the rim but I figured with no intervention on my part they would never hatch tbh.

good luck again, I will be watching your journey

So we are on day 7 for the first clutch and day 3 for the second clutch. They still look good. I see a few popped eggs on the first clutch but I don't believe they were viable. I have not found and babies in the paper towels. I do remember how they looked from the first time I tried so nothing yet. Just a new round of fresh paper towels and dry the excess moister of the inside lid.

IMG_20221112_185215242.jpg

• Like 1

Since things seem to be going well, when I get home from work tonight I'm going to get the tote tank setup so it can get running for when the snail babies are big enough to come out of the 2.5. should be an interesting night. I have a couple of sponge filters to put into it and a co op heater still in the box I've been waiting to use. It was meant for a backup in case one dies so I'll have to get another backup heaters for smaller tanks. Since the only other backup I have is a new 250watt titanium hygger. And of course we will check in on the clutch.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 9:16 AM, TeeJay said:

Since things seem to be going well, when I get home from work tonight I'm going to get the tote tank setup so it can get running for when the snail babies are big enough to come out of the 2.5. should be an interesting night. I have a couple of sponge filters to put into it and a co op heater still in the box I've been waiting to use. It was meant for a backup in case one dies so I'll have to get another backup heaters for smaller tanks. Since the only other backup I have is a new 250watt titanium hygger. And of course we will check in on the clutch.

@Guppysnail recommended the co op heater to me, and I've been using it in my QT tank.  I really like it!

• Like 1

Good evening fellow nerms. Since it's evening should we have a little tea time with TeeJay?

So I got the tote tank pretty much set up. Used a large co op sponge filter and s smaller air driven style filter as well. I tiny need to start the heater yet until it's time to add the snails. I only had a little over a pound of gravel left so I added a couple of pounds of cc with it to get a little bit of a substrate later. 

Later on I'll add some floating plants and an underwater light since the lid is solid green. Hygger has one I like that's full spectrum and adjustable for a real good price so I'll pick one of those up soon. I'll squeeze out my other sponge filters into it tomorrow to help get a nice juicy bacteria mix. Yummy. I filled it up about 2/3 full so that should be about 10 gallons of water. I figure I'll have maybe 2-4 weeks until we will have snails to put in it. 

I drilled some holes in the lid and made an opening to run the heater power cord out. 

But enough about that lets talk about the clutches shall we? The first clutch appears to be just about ripe. Today was day 10 for it. The second is still pretty pink but is only on day 6. So we may be ready to hatch as  early as tomorrow morning. But I'm hoping it will wait until I get home from work so I can watch them the first little bit there in the tank. So let's cross our fingers they take there time until tomorrow night.

IMG_20221115_171329782.jpg

IMG_20221115_171340583.jpg

IMG_20221115_172323497.jpg

IMG_20221115_175702901.jpg

IMG_20221115_181940425.jpg

IMG_20221115_185852418.jpg

IMG_20221115_185855805.jpg

IMG_20221115_190110240.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:13 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

One thing that is very handy @TeeJay, is to mark the gallon lines on the side of the tote.

Oh hey I also see you have one of those multi-media sponge filters. Have you tried that yet? I’ve got one on the way. I need more polishing on the 10g.

Yes I had it going in the Cory tank at one time. That filter and a sponge filter before I added on the tidal 35 to it. The both together did good. But at that time it was just a guppy grow out tank so it served it's purpose. I just wanted something more that had a bit more flow when the tank became the Cory only tank 

On 11/15/2022 at 9:19 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Any time now for the crescent roll clutch. It looks like you might have snails with dark shells about to emerge. My clutches were hard to tell when it was about to hatch. They never looked “moldy” like people say it should, because all my lil snails had gold shells.

Yes that first clutch I had were gold ones so it never got that moldy look to it. This time I am way more prepared so I think it's going to turn out well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so we are on day 11 and 7 for the clutches. It could literally be any hour now. For the first clutch at least. Going to check back in on them around 10 before heading to bed. Hopefully then. I highly doubt the first one will make it to me getting home from work tomorrow. So they need to work thru those shells so I can get them in the tank before work.  As well I got the second filter going on the tote tank and squeezed some juicy goodness from other filters so they can get established.

IMG_20221116_181041245.jpg

IMG_20221116_175613946.jpg

• Like 2

Good morning fellow nerms. Welcome to a way to early edition of coffee with TeeJay. checked the water parameters before I have to leave for work this morning to make sure everything was ok before heading out. Looks good so far. Added a bit of bacter ae for while I'm at work. I could only see a couple for right now. But with all the plants it's hard to find three little selves. I'm not as concerned since there are so many plants and a bag of cc to help with the kh. It's at about  a 1-2 right now. I have some liquid calcium coming in today to help keep the kh up. I think we will have totally different results this time.

• Love 2

On 11/17/2022 at 6:24 AM, Guppysnail said:

Congratulations! 🎉

with the kh coming up I’m sure it will be much better this time. I’m so excited you get to watch a magenta clutch hatch and grow. Babies snails are so adorable tiny seeds of cuteness. 

Wait til they all start parasnailing at once “raining” snails in the tank. 🤣

• Haha 3