New magenta mystery snail clutch.

TeeJay

Ok so back a little while ago I tried hatching and raising my first mystery snail clutch from my gold mystery snails. That time around didn't go well and none of them made it past a few days. It wasn't until after I realized I didn't have enough kh in the water to help established there shells 

So now I have my first magenta clutch from Johnny and June. My paur of magentas from my Cory tank. Since the first clutch I have added a bag of crushed coral and have a better balanced 2.5 gal tank for the new clutch to be raised in.

The new clutch has only been in the incubator for 24 hours. So we are going to give this another try with hopefully better results.

IMG_20221105_154657593.jpg

• Like 1

This is so exciting! Sending good vibes your way!  Feel free to flip through my journal of hatching the eggs. I got up an hour early every day and siphoned out old food, replaced it. (Did it before work so I didn’t have an excuse later like “I’m tired”).

Also I took out inactive snails and watched them with my magnifying glass, because if one snail dies it can wipe out the whole crew (ammonia). I only returned them to the box if I knew for sure they were alive. (Tell you the truth that’s what took the longest because they can stay tucked in for awhile (shy snails). It got faster as the snails got bigger and I no longer needed the magnifying glass. They will put out one very thin (like hair) feeler before emerging with their 2 bigger feelers. It’s cute because they feel everything around their shell with the hair one like, is this safe? What’s around me? Hehehe.

& I tested parameters every day w/ water change if needed.

You got this @TeeJay

Whatever tank they are going into, you can add some bottled bacteria even if the tank is seasoned, just as an extra precaution.

Good morning fellow nerms. How about a little coffee with TeeJay in the new clutch journal shall we?!

This evening will make about 48 hours since I found the clutch from Johnny and June. They are incubating well in the least killi tank. 

The 2.5 I have set up for them has lots of plants for being such a small tank. Some small swords Java ferns some Java moss hornwort and guppy grass. So lots of plants to pull out any ammonia and nitrites we may experience. 

Like I said before I'm sure the lack of kh was the main factor in the loss of the first clutch I tried to raise. So in the tank now is a small media bag with some cc to help give the kh the snailes need. I tested it just last night and it's right around a 2. I know most folks are going to so oh that's way to low. But I any of my other tanks the kh stays at a steady 4 and all my other snails from mysteries, ramshorns,nerites and bladders are all happy healthy and have good solid shells. I only added the cc about 2 weeks ago and it went from 0 to 2. So I'm sure by the time they are ready to hatch and go into the tank I will have it up to at least a3 if not 4. 

There is already one ramshorn living in there that found his way over traveling in a plant from another tank. Right now he or she is living the dream. A giant playground just for it lol. The picture in the post is of the tank this morning. You can see the small bag of cc in the front corner.

I was a bit hesitant to start a new journal with another clutch then my partner in crime @Guppysnail reminded me. It's all a learning experience. What if me telling my story on what I think went wrong and what I am doing to try and correct it to give my snails the best chance to not only survive but thrive can help someone else in there journey. So this is to round 2! 

IMG_20221105_174301578.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Love 2

On 11/7/2022 at 6:09 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This is so exciting! Sending good vibes your way!  Feel free to flip through my journal of hatching the eggs. I got up an hour early every day and siphoned out old food, replaced it. (Did it before work so I didn’t have an excuse later like “I’m tired”).

Also I took out inactive snails and watched them with my magnifying glass, because if one snail dies it can wipe out the whole crew (ammonia). I only returned them to the box if I knew for sure they were alive. (Tell you the truth that’s what took the longest because they can stay tucked in for awhile (shy snails). It got faster as the snails got bigger and I no longer needed the magnifying glass. They will put out one very thin (like hair) feeler before emerging with their 2 bigger feelers. It’s cute because they feel everything around their shell with the hair one like, is this safe? What’s around me? Hehehe.

& I tested parameters every day w/ water change if needed.

You got this @TeeJay

Whatever tank they are going into, you can add some bottled bacteria even if the tank is seasoned, just as an extra precaution.

Yes I really think it was the 0 kh in the tank. I always kept it clean and sucked out any old food. But with 0 kh and calcium there little shells couldn't develope. And it's one of those things like how could I have forgotten that when I had to use cc in every other tank I have. But we are all human and make errors. I think this time around we will have much diff results. Yes I always keep a bottle of fritz zyme 7 on hand. Don't have to use it much anymore but I always have some on hand. Just like prime. Always on hand.

• Like 1

I am so glad you made the choice to start this journal. I know how hard it is to make yourself this vulnerable when trying something new putting it on public display. But it helps so many folks learn.

I always give myself complete permission to fail spectacularly. Because I know a failure isn’t a failure it’s a learn. 

040752D9-967D-4EB9-9F93-3C32BCD3E476.jpeg

• Love 2

On 11/7/2022 at 8:03 AM, Guppysnail said:

I am so glad you made the choice to start this journal. I know how hard it is to make yourself this vulnerable when trying something new putting it on public display. But it helps so many folks learn.

I always give myself complete permission to fail spectacularly. Because I know a failure isn’t a failure it’s a learn. 

040752D9-967D-4EB9-9F93-3C32BCD3E476.jpeg

Yes it was a hard choice to make but how can we learn if not from our mistakes.

• Love 2

On 11/7/2022 at 7:57 AM, TeeJay said:

Yes I really think it was the 0 kh in the tank

I never really give a thought to kH, I didn’t know that was a factor. I know My gH and kH are 80 and 180 and I may have mixed those readings up, maybe it’s 180 and 80. Anyway I guess it’s high(?) - I only know because it’s on a multi-test strip I use.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:24 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I never really give a thought to kH, I didn’t know that was a factor. I know My gH and kH are 80 and 180 and I may have mixed those readings up, maybe it’s 180 and 80. Anyway I guess it’s high(?) - I only know because it’s on a multi-test strip I use.

Yeah it's crazy out the tap I hit like 15 gh but 0 kh. Idk what my city does with there water but it's strange lol

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:29 AM, Minanora said:

It's interesting to compare tap water parameters with fellow nerms.

I'm glad you started a journal for this project. I'm excited to see that clutch start to hatch out. 😊

Yes it really amazes me at how different tap water qualities are all over the us. I mean I know some things are just naturally in the water. But a lot of things are added in or taken out. I would think they they would try to make our water supplies as uniform as possible for just having healthy clean drinking water for human consumption.  But a lot of factors for into it. "Scratches head" but that's a different story all together 😆

Just checked on the clutch. It looks nice and healthy. It's June's first clutch so I hope it turns out well and has some fertile eggs in it. I like the container I'm using for this one better than the last one. It does not build up as much condensation. Re wetted the bottom paper towels and fresh dry and n top. As well the top paper towels are not getting as wet in this different container. We are 2 days in . We will check back tomorrow.

IMG_20221107_181956368.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good morning fellow nerms. How about some coffee with TeeJay shall we? 

So this morning while making my rounds checking in on everybody I came across the Cory tank and what did I find?! Well June left us another clutch! I was very surprised to see that she had layed another one after only about 4 days after her first. I'm going to leave it on the lid until I get home from work since it just happened last night. Give it a chance to dry a bit before I put it into the incubator.

I figure this way if the first clutch is not fertile we have another chance at it 

As well I moved there 2.5 that will house the babies to the stand in my living room so I can keep a better eye on them. It was so hard keeping an eye on them when it was on the bottom of the 10 gal Cory tank stand

IMG_20221109_073519906.jpg

IMG_20221108_180121800.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:17 AM, TeeJay said:

Good morning fellow nerms. How about some coffee with TeeJay shall we? 

So this morning while making my rounds checking in on everybody I came across the Cory tank and what did I find?! Well June left us another clutch! I was very surprised to see that she had layed another one after only about 4 days after her first. I'm going to leave it on the lid until I get home from work since it just happened last night. Give it a chance to dry a bit before I put it into the incubator.

I figure this way if the first clutch is not fertile we have another chance at it 

As well I moved there 2.5 that will house the babies to the stand in my living room so I can keep a better eye on them. It was so hard keeping an eye on them when it was on the bottom of the 10 gal Cory tank stand

IMG_20221109_073519906.jpg

IMG_20221108_180121800.jpg

What if they are both viable?  Then you'll have 1,000,000 snails.  🙃

• Haha 1

Someone laid a clutch on my lid for the first time yesterday. They usually go behind the HOB waterfall and they lay them there, thinking I won't know.  But I do a sweep under all the rims with my hand every other day.  One day though I'm sure I will have surprise baby snails crawling around in there just because of all these covert operations going on.  Also I think the moms are having social hour while laying eggs because I will do a sweep one day and then the next sweep I will find 2 clutches, side by side, behind the waterfall.

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2022 at 8:57 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Someone laid a clutch on my lid for the first time yesterday. They usually go behind the HOB waterfall and they lay them there, thinking I won't know.  But I do a sweep under all the rims with my hand every other day.  One day though I'm sure I will have surprise baby snails crawling around in there just because of all these covert operations going on.  Also I think the moms are having social hour while laying eggs because I will do a sweep one day and then the next sweep I will find 2 clutches, side by side, behind the waterfall.

Yes either from jetsam or June they always lay on the tank lid so that's a big help to know. I guess I been playing to much Barry white. 😆

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 11/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, TeeJay said:

Yes either from jetsam or June they always lay on the tank lid so that's a big help to know. I guess I been playing to much Barry white. 😆

Sometimes my 2 are very, uh..... "energetic" and then the male falls asleep on the back of the female and she's travelling the whole tank all day w/ him. Romeo & Ingot.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Haha 2

Just checked on the clutch for this evening. Still looking good. As well I got the second clutch off of the Cory tank lid and put it into the incubator as well. I hope I don't come to regret incubating 2 clutches at once 😆. So we are on day 4 for the first and day one for the second. The first clutch is on the left the second is on the right.

IMG_20221109_165755776.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2022 at 6:13 PM, TeeJay said:

Just checked on the clutch for this evening. Still looking good. As well I got the second clutch off of the Cory tank lid and put it into the incubator as well. I hope I don't come to regret incubating 2 clutches at once 😆. So we are on day 4 for the first and day one for the second.

IMG_20221109_165755776.jpg

One crescent roll and one hoagie bun.

• Haha 2

Good Luck with the baby snails! I am new to the hobby and have a 75 gallon tank that had just shrimps (probably a few dozen) in and decided a few months ago to put 2 Jade mystery snails in. Fast forward and the tank has at least a hundred snails( I did give a friend of mine that keeps fish a bucket of them since there were so many baby snails) and much to my dismay I tested the water yesterday and the ph and hardness barely register on my test strips. I literally just ordered crushed coral to try and increase the ph. I had searched for mystery snails to find out what to do and found your post and I wasn't sure if you were aware but I think all the mystery snails changed the water parameters and wanted to give ya a heads up.

• Like 1