Clear aquaponics HOB filter passion project

Caidenh24

• Administrators

Hi Caiden, you can ship something to our store address.

9661 Firdale Ave

Edmonds, WA 98020

However I'd suggest discussing it here and posting pictures first. As without understanding the scope of what you'd want from me, I don't want to commit to anything yet. I have grown plants out of an aquaclear before. Not quite sure what your vision is yet.

On 11/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, Cory said:

Hi Caiden, you can ship something to our store address.

9661 Firdale Ave

Edmonds, WA 98020

However I'd suggest discussing it here and posting pictures first. As without understanding the scope of what you'd want from me, I don't want to commit to anything yet. I have grown plants out of an aquaclear before. Not quite sure what your vision is yet.

Ok Thanks! I am planning of posting all about it and sending updates. What I have now to share is it is going to be a aquaclear but with a giant media basket basically the whole length of the tank. And it is going to be clear. It is going to be 4 inches deep and it can be filled with bio media to grow the plants in. I am working on a prototype but my schedule is messed up at school so it is hard to get in the workshop. I am going to fix my schedule for this week to get a lot of work shop so I can make the prototype. I will send pictures and updates on it here. I know I need someone else to test it and I know you are experienced with fish tank stuff and testing them so I thought it would be cool for you to test it. I don't know yet what I want fully tested or "done" but I will post updates to you and everyone else when I figure it out! Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

It might be beneficial, if you haven't seen any of the mods, to look into the fluval / marrina hang-on breeder boxes.  Given the design intent here, i don't think you need a very powerful pump and some of the small fountain pump mods might serve you well.

Best of luck, I'm excited to see what you have in mind!

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:23 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It might be beneficial, if you haven't seen any of the mods, to look into the fluval / marrina hang-on breeder boxes.  Given the design intent here, i don't think you need a very powerful pump and some of the small fountain pump mods might serve you well.

Best of luck, I'm excited to see what you have in mind!

I have had pothos growing in a Marina air powered flow-through HOB breeder box for about a year and recently stuck some of my pond plants in there to winter over as well. I could see something longer being useful for similar purposes, say the length of a 20 long or so. Depending on how much flow you need, an air-powered uplift tube might be enough... it's certainly simpler to build than something with an electric pump. If I could change one thing about the breeder box setup it would be to widen the end of the uplift tube, to make it possible to use an air stone (smaller quieter bubbles!) and/or a sponge filter (for bonus mechanical prefiltration, especially when using the box for raising fry.)

Interested to hear more ideas!

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, drewzero1 said:

I have had pothos growing in a Marina air powered flow-through HOB breeder box for about a year and recently stuck some of my pond plants in there to winter over as well. I could see something longer being useful for similar purposes, say the length of a 20 long or so. Depending on how much flow you need, an air-powered uplift tube might be enough... it's certainly simpler to build than something with an electric pump. If I could change one thing about the breeder box setup it would be to widen the end of the uplift tube, to make it possible to use an air stone (smaller quieter bubbles!) and/or a sponge filter (for bonus mechanical prefiltration, especially when using the box for raising fry.)

Interested to hear more ideas!

Sweet I will look into how the air lift filters work. I could use it for more learning knowledge on the assignment. Any videos that you know of that explain how the air powered filters work? I am thinking and I don't know how it sounds or how it will be water tight, But to make segments like puzzle pieces so that you can make it as long as you want and you just need to get more pieces it would start off at around the size of a 20 gal but can make it bigger from there. How does that sound? Thanks!

On 11/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, drewzero1 said:

If I could change one thing about the breeder box setup it would be to widen the end of the uplift tube, to make it possible to use an air stone (smaller quieter bubbles!) and/or a sponge filter (for bonus mechanical prefiltration, especially when using the box for raising fry.)

It's amazing how long it's been sitting with that design without such a minor upgrade......   Agreed. 

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 1:21 AM, Caidenh24 said:

Sweet I will look into how the air lift filters work. I could use it for more learning knowledge on the assignment. Any videos that you know of that explain how the air powered filters work? I am thinking and I don't know how it sounds or how it will be water tight, But to make segments like puzzle pieces so that you can make it as long as you want and you just need to get more pieces it would start off at around the size of a 20 gal but can make it bigger from there. How does that sound? Thanks!

The modular length is a neat idea, but will definitely take some development to make sure it can stay watertight. Maybe an interlocking interface with a silicone gasket, like some food storage containers use on the lid. It may be helpful/necessary to incorporate a locking mechanism to ensure the sections don't come apart when full of water.

For air uplift tubes the principle is simple: bubbles on the bottom make water go up through the tube. Here's the video that helped me understand how it works. Airlift construction starts at 12:06, but the whole thing is worth a watch. (If you're drilling pipe, best to use a vise instead of a cardboard box like Dean does. "Don't drill your fingers.")

Here's another, really technical video that goes more in depth about how and why air uplift tubes work. Normally I can't stand text to speech narration, but the diagrams are really good.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:17 PM, drewzero1 said:

The modular length is a neat idea, but will definitely take some development to make sure it can stay watertight. Maybe an interlocking interface with a silicone gasket, like some food storage containers use on the lid. It may be helpful/necessary to incorporate a locking mechanism to ensure the sections don't come apart when full of water.

For air uplift tubes the principle is simple: bubbles on the bottom make water go up through the tube. Here's the video that helped me understand how it works. Airlift construction starts at 12:06, but the whole thing is worth a watch. (If you're drilling pipe, best to use a vise instead of a cardboard box like Dean does. "Don't drill your fingers.")

Here's another, really technical video that goes more in depth about how and why air uplift tubes work. Normally I can't stand text to speech narration, but the diagrams are really good.

sweet thanks! By interlocking interface with silicon gasket do mean like a tupperware container? What is the silicon gasket part? Thanks! 

On 11/7/2022 at 11:13 PM, Caidenh24 said:

sweet thanks! By interlocking interface with silicon gasket do mean like a tupperware container? What is the silicon gasket part? Thanks! 

Yes, I'm imagining something like this, only instead of a seal around the lid it would be a seal between two segments:spacer.png

And possibly some kind of latch to keep the segments locked together when in use. Pretty much just like turning a Sterilite container inside-out and sideways.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 9:38 PM, drewzero1 said:

Yes, I'm imagining something like this, only instead of a seal around the lid it would be a seal between two segments:spacer.png

And possibly some kind of latch to keep the segments locked together when in use. Pretty much just like turning a Sterilite container inside-out and sideways.

Hey I am back with a question for this. I have my prototype done and everything I will send pictures when I get home. But I am not sure how to engineer segments like a Tupperware container. Do you have any ideas as to how you might build it? Thanks!

On 11/16/2022 at 9:42 AM, drewzero1 said:

I have a couple of ideas, mostly based on interlocking drain systems: https://www.drainageconnect.com/nds-5-pro-series-additional-resources

5inch_proseries_interlocking_1.png.3a7ed3332819bcb46db5097532b81b41.pngPretty much this, but with a gasket to mitigate leakage, and some latches to keep the sections from coming apart.

Here's my quick napkin sketch of what I'm imagining: IMG_20221116_112201__01.jpg.17a0215a2ba361cc89d04a0680dfe2bf.jpg

Putting the uplift on a sponge filter to get more filtration is genius. Thanks for the sketch. You are way better at sketching than me lol. That’s looks pretty close to my prototype but the bottom of my prototype is box shaped. I don’t see how the shape on the bottom could make a big difference though. Thanks!

• Like 1

Box shaped is probably better for filter media, arranging plants, etc... I just didn't bother to draw it that way.

I need to measure my sponge filter and breeder box uplift tubes so I can model an adapter and see how that works. I'll share the files if I ever get around to it. 🤞

On 11/16/2022 at 10:16 AM, drewzero1 said:

Box shaped is probably better for filter media, arranging plants, etc... I just didn't bother to draw it that way.

I need to measure my sponge filter and breeder box uplift tubes so I can model an adapter and see how that works. I'll share the files if I ever get around to it. 🤞

Ok sweet thanks! I am having a hard time visualizing the locking system. I understand the latch but I don’t understand the curved price around the end and the gasket. I kind of get what it is showing just not 100 percent. I can kind of a little bit visualize it but I might need some help. Do you think you can sketch just like the locking mechanism? Is the gasket that is in the inside just like some rubber? Thanks for the help I appreciate it!

Edit: here is an image I made of some rails for locking I thought of. Are you thinking of something something like this? Thanks!

B9AFEE40-AC40-4DAA-BB80-D576D67405C6.jpeg

ADE95E24-9F22-4CEF-BAF2-7B015E353B24.jpeg

Edited by Caidenh24

This will certainly require more study, actual prototypes, and refinement, but this is my initial thought. I would use silicone rather than rubber for the gasket, as it doesn't seem to harden and crack as easily, though rubber would probably suffice for a prototype.

I'm envisioning the catch and hinge molded into either side of the joint, and the latch as a separate piece of plastic. IMG_20221116_142652.jpg.cec56bdde4d9365bc8c16baa12bda5d1.jpg

Here's an alternate shape that aligns the gasket surface with the force of the latches:IMG_20221116_144221__01.jpg.e00acc33fd65dea1777810b51e655bdf.jpg

On 11/16/2022 at 12:46 PM, drewzero1 said:

This will certainly require more study, actual prototypes, and refinement, but this is my initial thought. I would use silicone rather than rubber for the gasket, as it doesn't seem to harden and crack as easily, though rubber would probably suffice for a prototype.

I'm envisioning the catch and hinge molded into either side of the joint, and the latch as a separate piece of plastic. IMG_20221116_142652.jpg.cec56bdde4d9365bc8c16baa12bda5d1.jpg

Here's an alternate shape that aligns the gasket surface with the force of the latches:IMG_20221116_144221__01.jpg.e00acc33fd65dea1777810b51e655bdf.jpg

Ok thanks I like the latch idea. It would probably have to be on each side of the box. Would the silicon gasket be like alined around it all also too? What are these things I highlighted and circled. It is a really good drawing and I REALLY appreciate it but I just don’t understand it. Is the thing highlighted supposed to be like a rail thing that the other piece slides into? Is that why there is like a dashed line connecting the other box segment to it? Thanks for the help again!

EDIT: Sorry I forgot the image of the highlighted stuff. Here you go. The thing in yellow I am highlighting is the curved piece in the very back. Thanks!

37E531D7-2307-43E2-9A1F-0F787F55EFF5.jpeg

Edited by Caidenh24

On 11/16/2022 at 8:46 AM, Caidenh24 said:

Do you have any ideas as to how you might build it?

I have done all kinds of plastics work on manufacturing side. I can give you an idea of "how", but I kind of need to see it.  Basically, you can design any shape you need and then decide how to make it.  The other way is possible, design things in such a way so that you make it cheaper to produce up front. 

On 11/16/2022 at 12:46 PM, drewzero1 said:

The typical method for these types of things is going to be one kit that includes the input and one for output followed by the center sections that you can then add on.  Just something to think about in the design is "how" it integrates and functions from section to section, especially with the tank.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:32 AM, Caidenh24 said:

Is the gasket that is in the inside just like some rubber?

a lot of them are food grade silicone seals.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, drewzero1 said:

Yes, the vertical part of the highlighted section could be the channel that it slides into, and the smaller horizontal rectangle was meant as the latch.

The circled part is the hook that hangs it over the edge of the tank.

Ok thanks!

On 11/16/2022 at 8:18 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have done all kinds of plastics work on manufacturing side. I can give you an idea of "how", but I kind of need to see it.  Basically, you can design any shape you need and then decide how to make it.  The other way is possible, design things in such a way so that you make it cheaper to produce up front. 

The typical method for these types of things is going to be one kit that includes the input and one for output followed by the center sections that you can then add on.  Just something to think about in the design is "how" it integrates and functions from section to section, especially with the tank.

a lot of them are food grade silicone seals.

Ok thanks. So by see it do you mean like the shape of the channels that lock them together? What do you mean by a kit with a input and output? And what do you mean about think about how it integrates and functions from section to section with my tank? I just don't understand I guess these "manufacturing terms" Haha. Thanks for the help I appreciate it!