Shelf life of Repashy powder?

tolstoy21

On 11/5/2022 at 4:55 AM, tolstoy21 said:

Nevermind. Found it out on my owns!

2 years (about). There is a expiration date on the canister. 

Thanks for bringing it up though. It wouldn't have been on the forefront of my mind otherwise. I need to start writing the date I open foods on the container so I can track how long they've been open.

One of my biggest goals in fishkeeping is to have enough fish to feed through foods efficiently. Even the smallest packages of prepared foods would last me far longer than a month. I have to cut frozen cubes in half otherwise it's way too much. I make repashy a teaspoon at a time. Etc etc 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2022 at 12:29 PM, Anjum said:

Thanks for bringing it up though. It wouldn't have been on the forefront of my mind otherwise. I need to start writing the date I open foods on the container so I can track how long they've been open.

One of my biggest goals in fishkeeping is to have enough fish to feed through foods efficiently. Even the smallest packages of prepared foods would last me far longer than a month. I have to cut frozen cubes in half otherwise it's way too much. I make repashy a teaspoon at a time. Etc etc 

Yes I do the same thing I only have 3 tanks so I dont use much food at all at once time. And I use at least 6 different types/brands. I do like to keep my repashy cans in the bottom shelf in the door of my fridge. Actually that's all I can fit on that shelf is repashy since I have 6 diff types. I only make 2 1"x1" cubes at a time. Then slice those into "planks". Then make a couple of shrimp lollies a week on bamboo sticks for my shrimp tank. Any foods I have in large quantities I put a smaller amount into a jar and feed from that so I can keep the bag the rest are in closed up for longer periods of time 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, TeeJay said:

Yes I do the same thing I only have 3 tanks so I dont use much food at all at once time. And I use at least 6 different types/brands. I do like to keep my repashy cans in the bottom shelf in the door of my fridge. Actually that's all I can fit on that shelf is repashy since I have 6 diff types. I only make 2 1"x1" cubes at a time. Then slice those into "planks". Then make a couple of shrimp lollies a week on bamboo sticks for my shrimp tank. Any foods I have in large quantities I put a smaller amount into a jar and feed from that so I can keep the bag the rest are in closed up for longer periods of time 

Those are all good ideas, thanks! 

On 11/5/2022 at 4:25 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I make mine one empty jelly jar (a pint-sized jar) at a time.  That lasts me about 2 weeks.

I make mine in shot glasses 😅

On 11/6/2022 at 8:46 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

What ratio of repashy to water do yall like best?

I do 1 part powder to 3 parts water. I like mine on the softer side because I squish some up to float in the water column for those fish that eat there. And also for the babyfish. 

• Like 1

@PerceptivePesce

I probably do a 3-to-1 ratio, but honestly at this point I kind of just guesstimate it and go by consistency.

I feel like the 3-to-1 ratio make the resulting food more gelatinous and hold together longer under water than 2-to-1, but I could be VERY WRONG there, and I find that different Repashy types gel up differently.

Some, like Community+ and Igapo Explorer, seem looser and more crumbly to me, while Soylent Green and Bottom Scratcher seems more thick and hold together longer/better under water. But maybe I'm mixing them wrong or mis-remembering my experience of the different products? I'll fully admit that could be the case.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1