Howdy fellow fish nerds!

Howdy everyone! I’m super excited to be joining this forum! I’m a relatively new fish keeper based in Utah. I love musicals, I’m an audio engineer by day, aquarist by night, and I love Pink Floyd! I have two nano tanks at the moment; a 5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon. In my 5 gallon, I have a two year old red and blue half-moon betta named Floyd that I adopted from a friend moving states for college. Adopting Floyd (formerly known as Sherman) really kick-started my fish keeping journey, and now he is my absolute pride and joy! Sharing his home are three amano shrimp called the Three Musketeers, and two brown mystery snails named Mio and Steve. Plant wise in that tank, I have an amazon sword, pogostemon stellatus octopus, a very small dwarf saggitaria that I propagated from my 2.5 gallon, and some sparsely planted dwarf hair grass. This tank has been running in its current configuration for about 12 weeks now. My 2.5 gallon is a little newer, coming in about 7 weeks old. As of now, it’s a shrimp and snail only tank, with two big mystery snails (one gold, one black), a small but mighty nerite snail, and a handful of cherry shrimp. The gold mystery snail is named David, and the black one is named Syd. I called the nerite snail Roger, and the cherry shrimp are collectively known as Barbra Streisand. Plant wise in this tank, I have a not-so-dwarf dwarf saggittaria and a rapidly growing java fern. While I’ve pretty much always kept some form of betta since I was about 8, this is my first serious attempt at fish keeping, and its going quite well! Random side note, the first betta I ever kept, Finn, lived to be 7 years old! I know the average betta life span is around 2-5 years, so maybe I just got lucky? Or maybe being an aquarist is in my DNA! Anywho, thats a little bit about me and a lot about my tanks. Thanks for reading if you got this far! I’ll try to include some pictures of my underwater friends. 

FBE22149-39FC-49C3-AE8D-1609479596FD.jpeg

6C661E34-6B68-4232-A673-DD462538B696.jpeg

4284A99F-D452-4B9E-98C4-0F636080C8FE.jpeg

9C075B8B-C09C-4AF4-8EFD-0AE1956A67A9.jpeg

• Like 5

That is a beautiful betta and shelly bois, they remind me of my two mystery snails that I bought when I started with the hobby 3 years ago. They were also yellow and blue. They're long gone but I preserved their shells and now they're on display in my detolf.

Watch out for the multi tank syndrome, it's very real!

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 7:25 AM, EvesFishJourney said:

Howdy everyone! I’m super excited to be joining this forum! I’m a relatively new fish keeper based in Utah. I love musicals, I’m an audio engineer by day, aquarist by night, and I love Pink Floyd! I have two nano tanks at the moment; a 5 gallon and a 2.5 gallon. In my 5 gallon, I have a two year old red and blue half-moon betta named Floyd that I adopted from a friend moving states for college. Adopting Floyd (formerly known as Sherman) really kick-started my fish keeping journey, and now he is my absolute pride and joy! Sharing his home are three amano shrimp called the Three Musketeers, and two brown mystery snails named Mio and Steve. Plant wise in that tank, I have an amazon sword, pogostemon stellatus octopus, a very small dwarf saggitaria that I propagated from my 2.5 gallon, and some sparsely planted dwarf hair grass. This tank has been running in its current configuration for about 12 weeks now. My 2.5 gallon is a little newer, coming in about 7 weeks old. As of now, it’s a shrimp and snail only tank, with two big mystery snails (one gold, one black), a small but mighty nerite snail, and a handful of cherry shrimp. The gold mystery snail is named David, and the black one is named Syd. I called the nerite snail Roger, and the cherry shrimp are collectively known as Barbra Streisand. Plant wise in this tank, I have a not-so-dwarf dwarf saggittaria and a rapidly growing java fern. While I’ve pretty much always kept some form of betta since I was about 8, this is my first serious attempt at fish keeping, and its going quite well! Random side note, the first betta I ever kept, Finn, lived to be 7 years old! I know the average betta life span is around 2-5 years, so maybe I just got lucky? Or maybe being an aquarist is in my DNA! Anywho, thats a little bit about me and a lot about my tanks. Thanks for reading if you got this far! I’ll try to include some pictures of my underwater friends. 

FBE22149-39FC-49C3-AE8D-1609479596FD.jpeg

6C661E34-6B68-4232-A673-DD462538B696.jpeg

4284A99F-D452-4B9E-98C4-0F636080C8FE.jpeg

9C075B8B-C09C-4AF4-8EFD-0AE1956A67A9.jpeg

personally i think that tank is a bit small for a betta, but it may be the camera not doing it any justice. how big is it exactly? 
none the less it looks pretty healthy 

On 11/4/2022 at 9:41 AM, SC Fish said:

personally i think that tank is a bit small for a betta, but it may be the camera not doing it any justice. how big is it exactly? 
none the less it looks pretty healthy 

The tank is 5 gallons, and I know thats the bare minimum that a betta needs. When I adopted Floyd from my friend, she gave him to me in a tiny plastic tank that was barely a gallon, so I would say his current tank is definitely an upgrade! A 5 gallon was also the largest tank I could afford at the time. I’m hoping to eventually upgrade him to something bigger like a 10 gallon. 

On 11/4/2022 at 6:32 PM, EvesFishJourney said:

The tank is 5 gallons, and I know thats the bare minimum that a betta needs. When I adopted Floyd from my friend, she gave him to me in a tiny plastic tank that was barely a gallon, so I would say his current tank is definitely an upgrade! A 5 gallon was also the largest tank I could afford at the time. I’m hoping to eventually upgrade him to something bigger like a 10 gallon. 

honestly bigger than it looks lol, good job, i had myself thinking it was like 3 gallons , also great job taking it in!

Edited by SC Fish

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 5:21 PM, TeeJay said:

Welcome to the club. Those are some awesome snails. Excellent job in the scapes in your tanks. I always found it tricky to get a good scape set up in smaller tanks.

Thank you! They were my first rough attempts at aqua-scaping, and I’m excited to learn more about it! 

On 11/20/2022 at 4:49 AM, JohnnyD said:

Love your tanks, so beautiful! Also love the Pink Floyd references with the names 🙂

Thank you! I was struggling to come up with not too cheesy names for my little guys, and I’m a die hard Floyd fan so I was either going to use snippets of song names for them, or band members names, and I ended up naming them all after the band members 🙂 

• Like 1