Show me your livebearers

Ruud

Help an addicted brother, without currently any fish tanks in his life, out!! I really like livebearers especially Swords and Molly's. 

Show me what you got and how your tank setup looks like, so I can get inspiration for when I finally move to a house with space for a small fish room! 

I would really love a colony breeding swordtail tank!

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MickS77 said:

I got this pair of wild Green Sailfin Mollies off Aquabid. Hoping to see some fry in the future. I just have them in a 20H right now in the fishroom.

Any thoughts on going brackish with these (not there is anything wrong with that 😉).

I'm not usually a swordtail person, but I saw this trio at the LFS and had to have them. Something about a solid red fish always gets me. One of the females recently dropped 60+ fry. These guys aren't colony breeders, though. They love slupring up their fry as quickly as possible. The parents in this video are hanging out in my guppy colony tank while the fry grow up in this tank. 

• Like 11

11 minutes ago, Frankiethepuffer said:

@StephenP2003 holy crap thats alot of them! do you cull the undesired ones or do you sell them locally? how big is the tank? how often do you do water changes? and do you have a favorite one?

40 breeder. I have only culled one crooked one, which lives in my son's 20 tall. I do trade in the grown ups at my LFS every now and then. Water changes are twice a week, but only to encourage growth. The nitrate buildup would probably necessitate weekly water changes. 

My favorites are the endler guppy hybrids! 

IMG_20201005_153542.jpg

IMG_20201005_153518.jpg

IMG_20201005_153207.jpg

IMG_20201005_153245.jpg

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, StephenP2003 said:

40 breeder. I have only culled one crooked one, which lives in my son's 20 tall. I do trade in the grown ups at my LFS every now and then. Water changes are twice a week, but only to encourage growth. The nitrate buildup would probably necessitate weekly water changes. 

My favorites are the endler guppy hybrids! 

IMG_20201005_153542.jpg

IMG_20201005_153518.jpg

IMG_20201005_153207.jpg

IMG_20201005_153245.jpg

dang that is a ton of guppies!

also can the guppy endler hybrids breed? 

• Like 1

Here are the 58 juvenile dwarf red coral platies I had in a grow-out tank, all trying to reach that last piece of Repashy gel food. Ended up selling 50 of them to my LFS and keeping 8. Such a stunning red-orange color, especially in a planted tank.

1294775260_20200918_092657PlatiescrowdingaroundabiteofRepashy-CC.jpg.abb734e7cb7775585bae3ff15907237c.jpg

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, Irene said:

Here are the 58 juvenile dwarf red coral platies I had in a grow-out tank, all trying to reach that last piece of Repashy gel food. Ended up selling 50 of them to my LFS and keeping 8. Such a stunning red-orange color, especially in a planted tank.

1294775260_20200918_092657PlatiescrowdingaroundabiteofRepashy-CC.jpg.abb734e7cb7775585bae3ff15907237c.jpg

These are gorgeous Irene! How large were they?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Norton said:

These are gorgeous Irene! How large were they?

At 2-3 months old, they were about about 1" long. The adults don't get much bigger, maybe 1.25-1.5" at most. Awesome community fish, easy to breed, and great at eating hair algae. The main trouble I had was in the beginning when I got the adults. I'm like 99% sure they came from a fish farm that used brackish water because they started dropping like flies when I got them. I ended up dumping in a bunch of salt & minerals to raise the water hardness to 20-30 dGH, waited for the adults to breed, and then caught all the fry and raised them up in normal freshwater conditions. Totally worth it. 😍

Edited by Irene
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Such an amazing picture @Irene, would love to have a colony tank with those beauties! I am so jealous of the quality and massive choice you guys have in the States. I never realized that Netherlands was pretty good as well, but somehow in Spain its not easy. First of all there are no PetCo and such, and the few mostly specialized shops that sell fish have very little variety and the fish are extremely small. Cory's of less than half an inch are the norm somehow. 

Anyway thank you all for contributing to this topic. I am enjoying all your pics!

Ruud

• Like 3