Feeding dishes for Mystery Snails?

Millie

Hey!

Has anyone considered getting a feeding dish for their tank for mystery snails? Oberon is immune to the "lights out" trick and will steal Puck's pellets regardless of what they are. During today's water change I was able to actually feed Puck because they were separated, but I considered getting one of those suction dishes to put on the side of the tank so that Puck can get to it, but I'm not sure if it'll be effective. 

Any ideas?

Yeah! He's got Crab Cuisine and Nano Banquet blocks going as well as a cuttlebone in the filter 🙂

I guess the main thing is since Oberon is so reactive to my presence around the tank, I'm worried he'll also sniff out the food and steal it, so I wasn't sure if a suction feeder would be better?

• Love 1

On 11/3/2022 at 3:08 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Here's the one @Katherine made.  Not sure if it's working well or not, but maybe it will give you an idea.  I've seen people use those clear soap dishes w/ suction cups in their tanks as well

This particular design did not work well. The first iteration they just pushed the food out of the dish. After I added the 'wall' the danios got too interested and it just wasn't worth it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 5:48 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

for snails I'd definitely do terra cotta.  For shrimp I am eyeballing some glass petri dishes.  They aren't cheap because they come in large packs, but I did find one that was "ok".

@Guppysnail says they get confused by the clear wall when using glass dishes, but it seems to work well if it is sunk down into the substrate.

Look for bread dipping dishes. Like for olive oil to dip bread in. Should be same shape as Petri dish.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 6:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail says they get confused by the clear wall when using glass dishes, but it seems to work well if it is sunk down into the substrate.

Look for bread dipping dishes. Like for olive oil to dip bread in. Should be same shape as Petri dish.

My fish got confused by glass. Plus glass gets ugly and needs cleaned. 
Terra cotta being porous holds so much more beneficial bacteria, grows lovely green blanket algae and never needs cleaned so I’m not wiping away BB. PLUS I love the way they blend to look almost like they belong when the green carpet algae grows on them and it’s an added food source. 

D498AD1F-A34B-4125-A579-D47439ECD2B6.jpeg

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 11/3/2022 at 3:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I also found some ceramic soy sauce style ones, black. but not sure if that's "fish safe".  There is some ceramics with heavy metal issues in the enamel.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 7:21 PM, Aiden Carter said:

how long can blanched vegetables stay in the tank?

If it’s a well seasoned tank 24 hours. Sometimes mine stay in longer because I get busy. I try to retrieve them before they get so mushy they fall apart to touch. 

@Torrey tested water repeatedly every few hours to prove it safe. They found no ammonia or nitrite.