Fish-less cycle Using Fish food

Aqua junky

I'm starting up a 30 Gallon Half-moon tank and I'm wanting to use fish food to cycle my tank. Any recommendations on how much or how often I should add fish food?  I've always had and still do have seasoned filters but I'm in no rush to set this up!  My Son has always wanted a puffer fish so I'm thinking of getting him one for his birthday in early December!   I haven't yet figured out which puffer yet.  I've got bigger tanks if we decide to go with a larger breed of puffer but would rather just keep a smaller one that could live out its life in a 30 to 75 Gallon tank. A tank that wont be too big for his room!  So recommendations on a specific puffer would also be helpful

I just finished fishless cycling with ammonia (specifically made for aquarium cycling). I added drops daily until the ammonia rose to 4+ppm. I kept the ammonia at 4+ppm until nitrites spiked, then kept between 2-4ppm until both plummeted. It took about 6 weeks. I also have plants in the tank. I did a couple water changes when nitrates got in the 160ppm range. Now I am keeping it cycled with smaller amounts of ammonia until I put fish in there, with 20% weekly water change. I would imagine the fish food method would work about the same way, where you add small amount daily as if you're feeding fish and test water daily.

• Thanks 1