Nitrite at 2 ppm

JohnNYC

I’m a bit worried about my German Blue Rams. They’ve been in the QT for less than a week. My Nitrite is .5 ppm with the API test kit. Ammonia is 0 ppm and Nitrate is 5 ppm. I just did a ~38% water change after testing. They look colorful, but they are not overly active. Once in a while they’ll move around fine or even go at each other a little. Generally they just hang out. They’re not at the top of the tank gasping for air. But their mouths move a lot like kissing motions, not at each other. They move their pectoral fins a lot just staying in 1 place. This is after the water change, so maybe they’re anxious. When I feed them they don’t go for the food like the neon tetras in the main tank do. I’m feeding Hikari micro pellets. But I have seen them eat detritus. I attached a picture of one of them.

Any advice? Am I over thinking? I can pick up some more beneficial bacteria tomorrow if needed, or just test and water change.

fish.jpg

I had to get up in the middle of the night so I checked on the tank. The fish that was having a tough time died. The other fish seems the same as usual. He hangs out by his pvc pipe but he's not gasping for air. I'm going to pick up Prime after work. 

Two things that I am learning. One is that I did not prepare the QT tank properly, it was not fully cycled and I got impatient. The other is, don't listen to the LFS guy. I told him I am a beginner and when I got home pretty much every reference said that GBRs are not great for beginners. Also, I bought neon tetras at the same time, they are the first fish in the main tank. Neon tetras seem to like 72' - 76', GBRs seem to like 84' - 86'. Also, my main tank has gravel, GBRs like sand. So I am compromising. Yes, I'm blaming the LFS to some extent. My thinking is you go to a LFS and pay more to get better service. But in reality I need to do a better job with preparation and research. 

I don't know what to do with the GBR. For now I just need to keep him alive! I'd give him away if I knew someone who was experienced. Then I would disinfect the QT, cycle it with more patience and get a honey gourami.

I wish I had some great advice for you, but I’ve never kept rams before. I would just keep testing the water and water change accordingly. If you’re really off the remaining ram, maybe your local store will take it back or trade it for something else.

This kind of thing happens to everyone so hopefully you’re not getting discouraged. I get into a funk at times when something goes haywire. The rewards of fishkeeping usually pulls me through or I’ll see someone doing something that inspires me to improve things.

I hope everything works itself out for you!

• Like 1

@JohnNYC unfortunately sometimes the industry sets a new fish keeper up for failure- you really do have to be your own advocate and do the research. Generally when I start a new tank I find the fish that's basically the centerpiece (whether it's a solo fish or a group) and build the tank around THAT fish. If the potential candidates for plants, fish, snails, shrimp etc don't have compatible needs or behaviors they get immediately nixed from possibilities. So what I would suggest is figure out which of the 2 fish you'd rather keep, GBR or Neons and see if the LFS will take back the ones you decide aren't for you. Neon Tetras are great beginners fish. Maybe the GBR tank is in your future. 🙂 Sorry you're having issues, but it's true, we all go through issues in this hobby- and we always learn from those issues. 

• Like 1

I just wanted to finish this thread. The 2nd GBR died the other day. I emptied the QT and rinsed the tank and equipment. I will do a bleach wash and extensive rinsing and let it all air dry. Then I'll set it up again and do a more patient fishes cycle.  

On 11/6/2022 at 9:34 AM, JohnNYC said:

I just wanted to finish this thread. The 2nd GBR died the other day. I emptied the QT and rinsed the tank and equipment. I will do a bleach wash and extensive rinsing and let it all air dry. Then I'll set it up again and do a more patient fishes cycle.  

Good luck with the reset! Sucks to hear about the rams. Never kept them before, but they’re absolutely beautiful.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:34 AM, JohnNYC said:

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate when a LFS doesn't advocate for beginners. I had a similar experience... I thought I had done sufficient research, but turns out I hadn't & the store sold me what I asked for, no questions asked. For better or worse, experience is usually the best teacher. We all learn tough lessons sometimes, but we do the best with what we have. Best of luck on your future endeavors! 

• Like 1