Species Tank-Does it count if you have a clean up crew?

B7gwap

889BCB92-A3CB-4332-9F1E-0AB3257969A9.jpeg.5272b01e33ed9d32737f7e16b25f858c.jpegI have a this 33 Long that I’ve set up as an “I-wood-gumi” ember tetra refuge. It has about 30 fishies in it for now, and some tagalong ramshorn snails. I do periodically have to clean out a little bit oh green hair algae, and was wondering about a few Siamese Algae Eaters.  

BUT

This tank has been an exercise in self control, to try to keep it species only. It’s SO tempting to add some different critters, and I wonder if I’ll ruin the effect of the species only setup with new additions. 

thoughts? 
CE9BF304-4241-4F21-85D1-1DE6B28E9F49.jpeg.5faf3cf456e3a0f328eb0f28eaae88b9.jpeg00F99FEB-6531-4800-B9D3-C38C96871677.jpeg.533a0acf2f4d26d28bd68442e1da88fc.jpeg

you should be able to add something that sticks to the substrate or glass without much issue. You might also see different predation behaviors depending what you add, like small snails and shrimp.  So.... for me "species only" just means that it's a tank for one type of fish.  Doesn't mean you can't fill out the water with fish that wont impede or attack said fish.  This is why most breeders have plecos in everything.

• Thanks 1

My 55 gallon on my rack is my Angelfish tank, but it also has a school of Cardinal Tetras and a group of Cory’s. My Walstad cube is my CPD tank but it has shrimp and snails. My Pygmy Cory tank has an African Dwarf Frog and a ton of snails. Lead actors need supporting actors, right? Every owner of a business has employees. There’s nothing wrong with a supporting cast, in my opinion. 

On 11/1/2022 at 10:37 PM, B7gwap said:

I hadn’t considered shrimp. I’ll have to see if there are soft water varieties, I know cherries are supposed to like mineral content. Thanks for the idea and the permission. 🙂

I haven't kept them (8.2 pH liquid rock here), but caridina shrimp prefer soft water and low pH.  You might take a look at them.

• Like 1