Shrimp nets - round or square?

redfish

On 11/1/2022 at 9:56 PM, redfish said:

What are some opinions on shrimp nets.  What works better, round or square?

I wish we had a poll function for some questions.

Squares much easier up against glass, but I can understand the appeal of round ones for getting between decoration & such. What shrimp are you trying to catch with them?

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd go with "Why Not Both?".  I currently only have rectangular nets for my aquariums, and I wouldn't want to give them up to exclusively go over to circular nets.  But, I would definitely want to add a circular net to my pile of tools at some point.  Having the right tool for the job can always make stuff easier.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

My opinion is that there is a tool for every job. You can't use a hammer in place of a screwdriver. 🙂 I mean, I guess you could but it won't do quite as good as the other....

That reminds me of a story my father told about when he was working as a carpenter many decades ago (probably in the 1950's).  They were hanging cabinet doors, and one of his coworkers was driving the screws in with a hammer.  When asked about it he replied "Those slots in the screws are for taking them out."

• Haha 2

Thanks for the replies.  I agree, getting both will be ideal.  I'll probably start with one and see how it goes.

Next question :  Which size opening?  Most I see are 2 inch and 3 inch.

@TheSwissAquarist  I expect to get some blue neo's soon and have a few ghost shrimp right now.  If I can't find the blue's locally, maybe I'll reach out to @JettsPapa.

@redfish I get it, that's why I always break it down they're under $4 a net- however I realize yes you still have to spend the 14 bucks. True we don't know quality but I've yet to buy a "cheap" net that didn't do it's job- definitely though true of other things like pumps and HOB- however even Cory has mentioned that people still have complaints about nets which is why he designed his (and he's gotten complaints with his too- there's always someone lol). I think they only thing I might be concerned with is the extendable part but I'd still try it because having longer reach is always handy in my house with taller tanks. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1