Is coarse sponge filter a danger for bettas

Katelin

I'm looking to purchase a nano sponge filter for my 5 gallon tank. We had a tetra whisper hob filter and it tore my betta's tail and fins up really badly. He seems to be doing okay, but I'm overhauling everything to make sure he doesn't get hurt again. I've seen some reviews that a coarse sponge can snag and tear delicate fins. This is my first fish and I'm completely clueless. I've seen other sponge filters with softer sponges for sale on other sites, but I'd really like to buy through aquarium co-op since they seem trustworthy. Does anyone have any advice/experience/suggestions for this dilemma?

It sounds very unlikely that a sponge filter would injure a betta. It's much more likely to be caused by tankmates, tail biting, sharp decor, or excessive flow (in order from most to least likely). I've never heard of a betta being injured because of a sponge filter.

• Thanks 1

Pros for the coarse sponge:

Easy to clean detritus from it

Green hides algae and blends in with plants

Can be used with an air stone

It's weighted so it won't get knocked around or float up

Cons:

Doesn't filter fine particles as well

Could snag a fin

Hard to clean hair algae from the sponge

Small fry can enter the pores

I have them and use them. I do not have a betta. I'm not going to knock them, but it really depends on your application. In my opinion the pros of them are more for the keeper instead of the fish. Out of curiosity for this reply I rubbed both a fine and coarse sponge on my arm, and well the coarse is coarse and scratchy. Although they were dry and stiff. The Co-Op wouldn't sell it if it was hassle for them with negagtive reviews and returns, and if you're dissatisfied they will make it right.

• Thanks 1