Can I remove my honey gourami eggs?

abigail

My honey gouramis bred today! I just got them about a month ago and it wasn't intentional, but I would like to save at least some of the fry. Right now, the eggs are in the corner of a 29 gallon with 3 honey gouramis, cardinal tetras, glowlight tetras, panda cories, and otos (also some shrimp and snails). The male is guarding the eggs very effectively now but I worry that the fry will get eat if they become free swimming before I notice them and/or they will be too small for me to remove from the tank then.  Would be it okay if I removed the eggs in the bubble nest to a breeder box or QT tank?

No experience with this particular situation however I’ve seen it done before. Without having kept those gouramis but some experience with other egg layers I typically let the parenting couple raise there first few batches of eggs before I start to play around with intervention, just to see how things go but I don’t see why it would be a problem if that’s the route you chose to take, things like these are learning experiences however they turn out and generally speaking your fish are happy with there environment if they bred outside of random happy accidents and will do so again, hope this helps some…

Hard to do. The mucus of the nest holds eggs up. Adult gourami will keep eggs and fry up in bubbles until fry are really free swimming. Some adults eat them them. Tetras definitely will.

You’d need to gently get a Tupperware container underneath, and lift up everything.