Dumb breeder box question

Corbidorbidoodle

So, assuming happy fish, I could add a breeder box, a handful of java moss, an say, a couple CPDs and I should get babies, right? 

So, like, maybe a 10 gallon with something already in there. Then they could live in the box for a week?

All this and also make sure I've got appropriate food as well, of course.

Or is it only for holding eggs that you collected from mops or something?

Breeding usually requires that fish are able to check off all the boxes from the list of things that instinct tells them are reasons to not breed right now. I would think that being in that small a container, even if it’s only for a few days and the main tank is good and healthy, will leave a box or two unchecked, ie they’ll be sufficiently stressed simply by being in such a small space that breeding won’t occur.

I’ve never kept cpd but I’ve heard they’re a big fish in a small body. Zooming around and covering a lot of territory/space is a big part of their natural behavior. If they’re unable to do that, it would be received as a sign or signal that something just ain’t quite right. 

But all this is my best guess, and others with fins-on experience with this species might know more, or different. 

On 10/30/2022 at 4:12 PM, Corbidorbidoodle said:

I have a few things I want to try. I want to get some line bred Rams breeding for selling/trading. But first, I want to get some good schools going for some nanos like my CPDs and Clown Killis.

This is the second (or third?) time I’m doing this today: @Fish Folk do you have any ideas on @Corbidorbidoodle s ram line breeding ideas?