Streetwise

I am happy with my sponge filters, but I want to try a hang-on-back filter for fun. I am very picky about design, and any visible aquarium technology has to be symmetrical or at least left/right balanced, (like with a canister, uptake on one side, centered spray bar, heater on the other side). Besides the massive Marineland units, this seems to be the only symmetrical HOB filter.

Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks!

Dymax.jpg.9d9204bb42c30c426adf3814ff0e5270.jpg

45 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

I am happy with my sponge filters, but I want to try a hang-on-back filter for fun. I am very picky about design, and any visible aquarium technology has to be symmetrical or at least left/right balanced, (like with a canister, uptake on one side, centered spray bar, heater on the other side). Besides the massive Marineland units, this seems to be the only symmetrical HOB filter.

Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks!

Dymax.jpg.9d9204bb42c30c426adf3814ff0e5270.jpg

Im not familiar with this particular hob. What size tank are you thinking of putting it on? It looks small. 

I would just be testing it for fun on something 20 gallons or smaller. I don't need it, but it looks cool, and satisfies my aesthetic standards, so I want to try it, unless I hear some bad feedback about it. I would like to see how loud it is, what kind of flow it produces, and what can be done in the media chambers.

1 hour ago, Streetwise said:

I would like to see how loud it is, what kind of flow it produces, and what can be done in the media chambers.

Since it doesn't look that big, seems the best way to optimize both mechanical and bio filtration would be to fill the chamber with course/medium foam as @Cory did with a HOB in one of his videos. 

I just placed an order, so I will report back when I get it. I have a bunch of spare AquaClear foam around, in various sizes, so I bet I already have a pair that would fit.

I am such a nerd about symmetry that I had to do two window tanks, one with all the gear on the left, and another with all the gear on the right. I would be ok with asymmetrical HOBs, if they came in left-handed and right-handed varieties, so they could be installed as matching pairs. I'm the kind of person you would ask to help setup a surround sound system.

Fortunately, my preferences for hardware do not apply to hardscape, or plants. That is where I enjoy the chaos, emergent growth, and surprises. I do prefer symmetrical fish.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The filter came in, but I haven't tested it yet. It looks like it might fit a pair of Aquaclear 30 foam in there. It sits about 2" above the rim, and requires about 2" clearance behind it. The motor is permanently installed, but the impeller is accessible. It is indeed symmetrical. Here are some photos, with Co-Op Small Sponge for scale:

IMG_1813.JPG.be6f7757099156984abc06991ff2efdf.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG.7d84d2c1e874f93be4399aee9c3f35af.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG.30ec3f0aa98b9fefbaa98cc4840e3089.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG.5a2d7352a38d7858ea9bdd2136079911.JPG

IMG_1819.JPG.e3a2fd0447ea92d0e13d65f3ee98968b.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG.abe1868635504c688cd4e8ccf6de7513.JPG

IMG_1825.JPG.30608aecd86cc357f94dd98e3e2d6ad9.JPG

IMG_1827.jpg.34dbb49a78cbed4976166ae89daba6db.jpg

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 2

@josh world, in the video I posted, I swap out the default media for AquaClear 30 sponges. It might fit other sizes, but that is what I had on-hand.

I don't need more filtration, but this unit is aesthetically pleasing, and I enjoy the waterfall effect. I ordered another one, and I might see if it fits on a tub.

I can't say that it is better or worse than other HOB filters, but it is quiet, symmetrical, and low-profile, so I like it. At $39, it is probably more expensive than other options.

• Like 2

I have a similar desire for symmetry in tanks, hence the two tanks in my living room are the same distance from the TV in the center of the wall, and are the same size (stocking is different though).

As a side note, there was another symmetrical HOB filter for a while, but is no longer in production to my knowledge. They were the National Geographic PF30 and PF50. Similar design to this Dymax slim flo, just more boxy and made of a solid black plastic. They were likewise quiet and ran well, and I liked the ability to customize them easily with plenty of sponge or other media in the spacious filter box. I thought they had potential to be a decent HOB that hung around for a while. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my testing of these filters, and removed them for storage. I think they are great filters, and I will probably use them periodically when I need extra filtration, or in bare-bottomed utility tanks. I still prefer the look of just lights, wood, and emergent growth above my tanks.

You can see in the sponges, how much they collected in about two weeks, and one week. The blob is some filter floss.

IMG_1991.JPG.4253bba5220a46851da80b22b706b72c.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG.f9a7436936ed10a65884fd16801f08c7.JPG

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Streetwise said:

I finished my testing of these filters, and removed them for storage. I think they are great filters, and I will probably use them periodically when I need extra filtration, or in bare-bottomed utility tanks. I still prefer the look of just lights, wood, and emergent growth above my tanks.

Thanks for testing and sharing, I was very curious about these.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
16 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

@Cory, what would it take for you to carry this filter? Symmetry Nerms like me don’t care about being price-competitive for items like this. I would prefer to order from you.

At this point, the next filter like that we'd carry would be one we brand our own and hopefully improve. Filters are a pain to ship cause most use brittle plastic. I'd want to have more pliable plastic as well.

I would love to buy and support a symmetrical Co-Op hang-on-back filter. 

This specific filter does have rugged plastic, but I understand the business reasons to create branded products that fit into the customer support model.

Tech-symmetry Nerms like me are probably a thin slice of the clientele, where $39 for an HoB is worth it.

Co-Op sponge filters are still my primary!

• Like 4

• 5 months later...