How Do You Acclimate Your Fish?

Zodiak246

On 10/29/2022 at 10:06 PM, zodiak245 said:

How do you guys acclimate your fish that you just bought?

Plop and drop or drip acclimate?

What is your fish is sensitive to Ph?

What if your tank Ph is lower than the stores Ph?

How long do you drip acclimate?

If it’s a very hardy fish like a platy or an endler I tend to add a cup of tank water into the bag every 10-15 min and release them after half an hour.

With more sensitive fish (and in this case shrimp) I use drip acclimation at varying speeds until the bag is full, which can take from half to one and a half hours.

Basically it depends on the species!

Float for temp, then I pour out like half the water that was in the bag. From there I use my 20ml syringe for tank water into the bag every 5 minutes for about an hour. Drain as much water from the bag as possible and then plop em in. Probably overkill as I get everything locally, but would rather be safe than sorry 

float for 20 mins then net them into the tank.i used to drip acclimate but then seen a marine fish seller say that they flop and plop all their fish because drip acclimation was leading to greater losses.if its good enough for much more sensitive marine fish i figure its also good enough for freshwater fish.

On 10/30/2022 at 8:55 AM, Fishoutawater said:

float for 20 mins then net them into the tank.i used to drip acclimate but then seen a marine fish seller say that they flop and plop all their fish because drip acclimation was leading to greater losses.if its good enough for much more sensitive marine fish i figure its also good enough for freshwater fish.

I've had the complete opposite experience, but each to their own, and we are talking about very different types of water and fish.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:06 PM, zodiak245 said:

How do you guys acclimate your fish that you just bought?

Plop and drop or drip acclimate?

What is your fish is sensitive to Ph?

What if your tank Ph is lower than the stores Ph?

How long do you drip acclimate?

what i do is float the bag in the tank for 5-10 mins to temperature acclimate, 

then open the bag and start pouring water from ur tank in (maybe quarter litre to half litre) every 5 mins for 15-20 mins (depending on the fish)

then i personally dont want the fish store water so i put them in a bucket, catch them with a net and put them in the tank. 

that has worked for me for all the fish in my new 20 gallon. no losses!

On 10/30/2022 at 3:15 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I've had the complete opposite experience, but each to their own, and we are talking about very different types of water and fish.

Same here. I tried plop and drop after temp acclimate for a year a noticed a lot more long term health problems in my fish. I went back to throwing them in a breeder box which replaces all the water within a half hour.

I follow the Aqua Huna method which they include with their shipments. It’s similar to some other have posted. Float in your tank for 15-30 minutes to equalize temp, pour out into a separate vessel all water and fish. Add half again as much volume from your tank’s water and set a timer for 15-30. Repeat step 2.   Net your fish out of the vessel and release into tank. 

All my fish go into smaller QTs anyway so I put the fish and their water into it, then a cup or two of my own tank water, do this, depending on where I got the fish every 15 or 30 minutes until the QT is full- so they are fully acclimated to temp and water. Often when I buy from my LFS I ask for an extra bag of water. If I get it from a local fish keeper I usually bring a big enough container that has plenty of water. I've rarely ordered fish online but did notice when I got CPD from Aquahuna they recommend similar acclimation that I already did. There are some occasions that I defintely do plop and drop- like when I bring a Betta home in a dirty water cup. 

Usually, I float for 20-30 min to temp. acclimate, then add about 25-30% of the bag water in tank water, then wait about 30 minutes. If the livestock is not showing any major signs of stress I dump them into a net into a bucket and let them free in their new home! I try to never dump shipping water or store water into my tanks.

For shrimp, I ALWAYS drip for a few HOURS into a 5 gal. bucket, as almost every time I get them half are gravid, and I don't want to lose any more 'free' shrimp.