Melanotaenia 'Kali Tawa'

Seattle_Aquarist

Hi All,

When my friend Gary Lange visited our club last month he brought me and unexpected gift, a reverse trio of
Melanotaenia 'Kali Tawa' He told me that although the males were 'juvies' they were likely old enough to breed. So for a week if fed them high protein frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp and then a week ago I added a spawning mop to the tank. Today I did water changes and pulled the mop and SURPRISE; I pulled about 20 - 25 eggs from the mop. They are now floating in a cup in an 85 degree F tank with one drop of Methylene Blue. Hopefully they will hatch grow up to look like the parents! -Roy

Melanotaenia 'Kali Tawa'
2107396987_MelanotaeniaKaliTawa.jpg.4754c919f766edf4077e7eb31788db10.jpg

Here is a picture of the fry from the mop I pulled on 10/3/22.
586421705_2022-10-10MKaliTawa(5)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.d39cb4c046354229145ff71719735ada.jpg

So I put a mop back in the tank on 10/3 after pulling the eggs that resulted in the fry you see above.  A week ago Tuesday, 10/18/22, I pulled the mop from the Melanotaenia 'Kali Tawa' tank and instead of picking the eggs individually I just plunked the mop into a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter and an Aquaclear 20 with sponge pre-filter that was turned down to minimum output (about 33 gph). Tank temperature is 83 degrees F. and just standard aged tap water. Here is a video I shot today (10/27/22) and it appears to be +/- fourteen (14) fry.
Of the previous spawn I still have four (4) survivors. Although I had Golden Pearls 5-50 mu I did not have a good transition food to live baby brine shrimp (bbs). From one of our club members I got a generous start of vinegar eels so this new spawn is currently getting Golden Pearls and vinegar eels and seems to be doing well. -Roy

Melanotaenia 'Kali Tawa' fry from mop pulled on 10/18/22
1462460186_2022-10-27MelanotaeniaKaliTawa(3)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.2843a5413f86f2401525379338e69e5a.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Love 5

On 10/27/2022 at 11:54 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Congratulations! Keep us posted on how they do! Aren’t they quite a rare rainbow?

Hi @TheSwissAquarist,

I don't know if they are "rare" so much as they are hard to find since they are relatively new to the hobby.  The species was first discovered during an collecting expedition to West Papua by a group of three (3) rainbowfish collectors / breeders in July of 2019 which included Gary Lange.....so the species has only been in the hobby 3 years.  -Roy

On 10/29/2022 at 12:12 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @TheSwissAquarist,

I don't know if they are "rare" so much as they are hard to find since they are relatively new to the hobby.  The species was first discovered during an collecting expedition to West Papua by a group of three (3) rainbowfish collectors / breeders in July of 2019 which included Gary Lange.....so the species has only been in the hobby 3 years.  -Roy

Drat 🤦‍♂️ if they’re that new then theres probably zero in Europe. I’ll have to wait..

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 8:50 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Thank you @OceanTruth, I hope to breed enough to be able to bring them to meetings of our local aquarium club so others can enjoy the species.

That’s so amazing! I wish there was an aquarium club near me that I could join instead of lurking on forums and youtube. 😂😂 Hopefully one day I can enjoy that aspect of the hobby. I’ve never heard of a person say one negative thing about joining a club and I’m always envious when I hear about all the experiences. Love the casual, oh yeah my buddy Gary Lange gifted me some rainbows on a club visit. 👍👍

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 1:13 PM, OceanTruth said:

That’s so amazing! I wish there was an aquarium club near me that I could join instead of lurking on forums and youtube. 😂😂 Hopefully one day I can enjoy that aspect of the hobby. I’ve never heard of a person say one negative thing about joining a club and I’m always envious when I hear about all the experiences. Love the casual, oh yeah my buddy Gary Lange gifted me some rainbows on a club visit. 👍👍

Start a club! I did in my mountain village and I was surprised with the response I got! Tends to help if you have some decent knowledge on fish already, half of the club members thought 💭 plecos ate poop and angelfish could be kept in a 15 gal 🤦‍♂️

On 10/28/2022 at 11:03 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Drat 🤦‍♂️ if they’re that new then theres probably zero in Europe. I’ll have to wait..

Hi @TheSwissAquarist

Actually the other two explorers in the trip with Gary Lange where the species was discovered were Wim Heemskerk of the Netherlands and Johannes Graf of Germany so there is a strong possibility of the species being available in Europe.  -Roy

• Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 4:13 AM, OceanTruth said:

Hi @OceanTruth

The suggestion by @TheSwissAquarist to start a club is not that far-fetched.  One of our Seattle club members moved to the Phoenix, AZ area and there was no aquarium club; so he started one!  He did some flyers,  asked to post them at some of the local aquarium shops .  I believe they first met at a pizza restaurant or a local aquarium store and the club has thrived.  Just a few hobbyists dedicated to trying to make it work is all it takes.  Today, it is a thriving healthy club bringing in various speakers from around the country.  You can do it if you try! -Roy

On 10/29/2022 at 7:48 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @TheSwissAquarist

Actually the other two explorers in the trip with Gary Lange where the species was discovered were Wim Heemskerk of the Netherlands and Johannes Graf of Germany so there is a strong possibility of the species being available in Europe.  -Roy

Thanks! I’ll look into it, and see if I might be able to get some after all.

• Like 1