Reticulated Hillstream Loach

Ryan1988

Hello,

I saw the video on Reticulated Hillstream Loach's being good for spotted algae. My question is, do these fish work in a low flow environment? I've seen a few articles state that they need a high flow environment to survive. My current 20 Gallon tank Houses 6 glowfish and 2 nerite snails. I had a pleco (common?) for about a year but it recently died. Not sure why as the other fish are unaffected.  

On 10/27/2022 at 6:16 PM, Ryan1988 said:

Hello,

I saw the video on Reticulated Hillstream Loach's being good for spotted algae. My question is, do these fish work in a low flow environment? I've seen a few articles state that they need a high flow environment to survive. My current 20 Gallon tank Houses 6 glowfish and 2 nerite snails. I had a pleco (common?) for about a year but it recently died. Not sure why as the other fish are unaffected.  

I have them in a 29 gal with absolutely diddly squat in terms of flow and they’re doing fine.

People recommend a lot of flow because they come from fast flowing mountain streams in South Asia, but they do fine in low-mid flow range.

Any pics of the tank going?

I read high flow as high O2 because I assume that the oxygen rich stream water is rather than the current is what they need. They are adapted to keep still in the flow but a lack of it probably makes things easier as long as the water suits them.

If you run air stones you will probably be fine. 

• Like 1

The Sewellia hillstream loaches are omnivorous grazers, not obligate algae eaters, and will be eating the stuff (biofilm, aufwuchs, infusoria) that's living on top of the algae. In my experience, if given the choice, reticulated hillstream loaches will flock to any sinking food instead of focusing on the algae areas. I would say that nerite snails are better at algae control, as I've never seen any go for prepared food if there's enough algae to satisfy their hunger.

Edited by OutBout

My 3 do awesome in my 29, even when it just had a sponge filter in it. Right now I'm running 2 HOBs in there as well to get them ready to cycle new tanks, and I haven't seen any difference in their behavior with the added flow. They certainly haven't seemed to take any more interest in the higher flow areas than lower flow since I put the HOBs in. 

I agree with @OutBout, while I have seen them "eat algae," they eat pellets, wafers, Zuchini, etc. They seem to prefer scavenging prepared foods to just eating algae, so I wouldn't expect them to make a huge difference regarding algae production. I wouldn't get them to take care of algae, I would get them because they look awesome, and because they're silly and play a lot, especially with Kuhli Loaches. 

• Like 1