Hello everyone! So I got a question I have a tank right now that has a breeding pair of Kribensis they have spawned and only 8 Fry are swimming doing field trips around the tank it’s been about week now since I noticed them in the tank and maybe 4-5 days swimming outside with both parents. Today I came home from work and was noticing the 8 fry with there mom and I looked over to the dad and noticed a one little wiggler by himself like a little baby tadpole I see the yellow sac on the top of him/her eating away at matter on the bottom of my spider wood that I have in the tank. It’s this pairs first spawn together and while doing research I have seen multiple people have 30-100s of fry on there first batch. I was wondering maybe because in this tank I used to have two Cory’s and a single tiger barb with them but this weekend I removed them and placed them in my other tank I have. I did that of course to give the parents more room with the baby fry and of course they were becoming more aggressive as well. But non the less extremely exciting seeing a late bloomer I suppose 😂

D6BD5DBD-3CA4-46FE-86C0-4CFB9081C19E.jpeg

D7D46678-467E-4E64-A33A-21A341B816F4.jpeg

Kribs are fun and some of the best fish parents I’ve seen. My mistake was keeping the whole spawns. I kept the entirety of the first 2 spawns my Kribs had and it took me FOREVER to get rid of them all. I literally just traded for store credit the last 25 last week. Was about a year and a half journey. Might seem like a shame right now, but knowing what I went through with mine I’d be stoked with ~10 fry. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 2:29 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Kribs are fun and some of the best fish parents I’ve seen. My mistake was keeping the whole spawns. I kept the entirety of the first 2 spawns my Kribs had and it took me FOREVER to get rid of them all. I literally just traded for store credit the last 25 last week. Was about a year and a half journey. Might seem like a shame right now, but knowing what I went through with mine I’d be stoked with ~10 fry. 

That's awesome how many fry for each time they spawned did you count and where you able to see how many eggs where laid??

On 10/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, FrezhFinz said:

Hello everyone! So I got a question I have a tank right now that has a breeding pair of Kribensis they have spawned and only 8 Fry are swimming doing field trips around the tank it’s been about week now since I noticed them in the tank and maybe 4-5 days swimming outside with both parents. Today I came home from work and was noticing the 8 fry with there mom and I looked over to the dad and noticed a one little wiggler by himself like a little baby tadpole I see the yellow sac on the top of him/her eating away at matter on the bottom of my spider wood that I have in the tank. It’s this pairs first spawn together and while doing research I have seen multiple people have 30-100s of fry on there first batch. I was wondering maybe because in this tank I used to have two Cory’s and a single tiger barb with them but this weekend I removed them and placed them in my other tank I have. I did that of course to give the parents more room with the baby fry and of course they were becoming more aggressive as well. But non the less extremely exciting seeing a late bloomer I suppose 😂

D6BD5DBD-3CA4-46FE-86C0-4CFB9081C19E.jpeg

D7D46678-467E-4E64-A33A-21A341B816F4.jpeg

My Apistos just won't spawn, so maybe I should get into Kribs... have you counted the fry yet? I usually count 12, then come back half an hour later and find 30 😅.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 4:12 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

My Apistos just won't spawn, so maybe I should get into Kribs... have you counted the fry yet? I usually count 12, then come back half an hour later and find 30 😅.

You just have to get the tank parameters in the right spot for them to start and I noticed if the haven’t bonded or Aggro might take time I noticed with my other breeding pair of Kribs I have aren’t breeding and the male is Aggro to the female Kribs so I rescaped the tank with the lights off and did a water change and that seemed to ease his aggression for a while but they still haven’t bonded. So you can be lucky to immediately have a pair start breeding or you might have to get different female to bond with your male also depends on the age and size of them as well. I have counted in my main breeding tank at least 8 fry that are at least 5 days old swimming around with there mom and I see a straggler that seems to be newborn and still has egg yolk sac attached and it was literally all by itself only the dad paid attention to it not the mom so I am freaking out of that discovery just trying to figure out what that happened.

On 10/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, FrezhFinz said:

You just have to get the tank parameters in the right spot for them to start and I noticed if the haven’t bonded or Aggro might take time I noticed with my other breeding pair of Kribs I have aren’t breeding and the male is Aggro to the female Kribs so I rescaped the tank with the lights off and did a water change and that seemed to ease his aggression for a while but they still haven’t bonded. So you can be lucky to immediately have a pair start breeding or you might have to get different female to bond with your male also depends on the age and size of them as well. I have counted in my main breeding tank at least 8 fry that are at least 5 days old swimming around with there mom and I see a straggler that seems to be newborn and still has egg yolk sac attached and it was literally all by itself only the dad paid attention to it not the mom so I am freaking out of that discovery just trying to figure out what that happened.

What I mean by won’t spawn is “not successfully” (sorry for not specifying!) the male seems to be absolutely sterile. The female age laid eggs soooo many times, and I have seen the male “fertilise” them but the eggs all die off and get eaten over the following days. I got rid of the male and brought in a new one, and they spawned today!!!🎉

• Like 1

Kribs are proficient breeders and i orignally got rid of my pair; BUT in your case one comment. My tank was heavily planted with lots of drift wood and so there was plenty of food for the babies but your tank in the small picture perhaps incomplete looks a bit barren.

• Like 1

On 10/27/2022 at 1:02 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

It was 50-75 per spawn. I was taking them to my LFS in batches of 25-30. 

Once I had full grown Kribs I was still trying to get rid of the new spawns became live food. The last picture has close to 100 if not more.

A2FC1DC9-48B2-4F59-9FEC-6C13A8D50634.jpeg

5F542AB7-D4FE-4F22-86F6-3F0F09FC781F.jpeg

E65EF635-898D-461B-B63B-1669CCB1B5F9.jpeg

I love your Kribs they are so vibrant and beautiful I wish mine had as much babies as yours did I am waiting till mine get a bit bigger to show you guys!

On 10/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, anewbie said:

Kribs are proficient breeders and i orignally got rid of my pair; BUT in your case one comment. My tank was heavily planted with lots of drift wood and so there was plenty of food for the babies but your tank in the small picture perhaps incomplete looks a bit barren.

No it has two spider wood pieces in there with some rocks as well I have a lot of dwarf hair-grass in the tank as well! I wonder if it’s because it’s there first time breeding and when they started I had two Cory’s and a tiger barb in there as well but when they started becoming more aggro I removed them and placed them in another tank.