ACO Test strips

cavdad45

Just moved into new home. Used the test strips to learn about my well water

Hardness reads 150/ppm, pH is 6.8, buffer is 40ppm

Overall, are there any fish (I do mostly community aquariums) that are going to be negatively effect by the hard water?  Who will thrive?

sounds like my water slightly.  I've kept a lot of fish, the main thing is stability.  Having the KH (buffer) at 40 is right on the edge and that just means that if you have a lot of waste, PH and KH would crash slightly.  So.... for my tank I use an additive from seachem to slightly stabilize things. For most situations, and this is something @TeeJay did with his, was to go ahead and used crushed coral to stabilize the KH (slightly boost it to the 60-80 range) and then that will go ahead and give you lower risk of PH crashes and a more stable environment.

As for what does "well" there's a long list.  Most tetras, rasboras, barbs, community fish, corydoras, etc. will all do perfectly well in that setting.  It's also a fantastic base for a blackwater setup and for Caridina shrimp. I also think that most cooler water species will do fine like shrimp, corydoras, vast array of plecos, rice fish, and mountain minnows.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/ph-gh-kh

• Like 1