Sometimes I Can’t Catch a Break

RadMax8

You ever just have a string of bad luck? Bought two female Pearl Gouramis to go along with my group of three males and one female. Got them set up in my quarantine tank, after about a week I lost one unexpectedly. No sign of injury or illness, just woke up one day and she was gone. Fast forward to today, and the second one made it through QT. During drip acclimation, it decided that it didn’t like the cories in the acclimation bucket and jumped out. Of course, I didn’t find it until it was too late. 

Super bummed I lost two beautiful fish, at least there’s a lesson to be learned in that I need to cover my acclimation bucket. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I feel your pain. I lost a few fish after they jumped out.

Around 8 yesterday I go to feed my fish and one of the swordtails is on the floor in front of the aquarium, but it seem like it just happened and I was able to save her. All the lids were closed. Only opening is on the back side for hob filter and it’s very minimal. So much so that water gets on the lid from hob.

• Like 1

I was cleaning my sponge filters last water change and one my big Bamboo Shrimp must of been hanging onto the back of it. I did not notice her and she jumped off of it. It looked like she snapped herself in a S shape and catapulted in the air like a foot or more and landed hard on the floor. My heart stopped and I was on my hands and knees trying to pick her up. I am still monitoring her I think she will be ok, but I was totally upset with myself. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, RadMax8 said:

Super bummed I lost two beautiful fish, at least there’s a lesson to be learned in that I need to cover my acclimation bucket. 

Very sorry for your loss and recent struggles.  Whenever fish (and especially shrimp) are new that is when they tend to be most sensitive.  Movement is stressful and the fish are more often in their fight or flight response modes.  It's important that whenever a fish is in QT or in a tank that isn't their normal place (like a bucket when doing an overhaul on a tank) that you do have them in a quiet place and try to reduce ambient noise.  Corydoras especially, can be very sensitive to vibrations, doors, cupboards, walking, things dropping on surfaces, and that can spook other fish and cause them to jump.  At worst case, cover a tank with a dark towel and that should alleviate a lot of issues, but a big fish can get through a towel if it really wants to.  Lids are a great tool for so many species and fish will find the smallest holes when they are scared. 

It is very unfortunate, but it does happen.  It happened to me recently and it is never fun. 

Best of luck, throw some salt over your shoulder and hopefully things get better for you!

On 10/26/2022 at 3:58 PM, RadMax8 said:

You ever just have a string of bad luck? Bought two female Pearl Gouramis to go along with my group of three males and one female. Got them set up in my quarantine tank, after about a week I lost one unexpectedly. No sign of injury or illness, just woke up one day and she was gone. Fast forward to today, and the second one made it through QT. During drip acclimation, it decided that it didn’t like the cories in the acclimation bucket and jumped out. Of course, I didn’t find it until it was too late. 

Yes.  We have had a bad run with pregnant female guppies.  It feels bad but it happens sometimes.  Completely unexpected too.