Using Ceramic Grinder to mix all flakes and fish food

subramn

Does any one use Cermaic pepper grinder for dispersing fish food to acquarium. i have a difficult time remembering all fish foods which i need to give for acquarium. so thought of buying a cermaic pepper grinder put all flakes and dried wood grind them and spray on top.

i saw in few videos in youtube not sure whether its ok or not

any experience 

1 hour ago, subramn said:

Does any one use Cermaic pepper grinder for dispersing fish food to acquarium. i have a difficult time remembering all fish foods which i need to give for acquarium. so thought of buying a cermaic pepper grinder put all flakes and dried wood grind them and spray on top.

any experience 

All my fish like the pleco formula bug bites, I grind them up with a pepper grinder.  I use one with 5 settings instead of one with a screw that needs to be tightened or loosened to change the coarseness of the grind, switching between settings is a lot easier than messing with the screw.

With food going bad and the grinder not being air tight, I only put about 2 days worth of food in the pepper grinder at a time.

Concerning mixing food, I also do a mix of tetra color granules, ez fry food, and bug bite color enhancer in a deli container, none of it really needs to be ground up, so there is no point in putting it in the grinder. 

Don't really use flake food, if I did though I'd probably put it in the deli container with the rest of the stuff that doesn't need to be ground up.

2 hours ago, subramn said:

any experience 

You're more advanced than me. I use an old Sharpie with the cap on, and do the same thing in a plastic container.

I have the same issue. Flake is easy to grind up. It's the Bug Bites, X Treme nano pellets, and some Tetra pellets I have that are A LOT of work to grind up for my micro fish.

I think I'm definitely going to look into the pepper grinder that was mentioned here as well.

I make my own nano/fry food in a spice grinder. I just put whatever dry food are in my current rotation in and pulse it until it's the size I want. Then I store it in a small squeeze bottle like what the coop puts their fry food in. I also use the spice grinder to break up the flake food I use as my staple food same method just don't go as small then put it back in the original container. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I toss all my flake in a mixing bowl and fluff it together then store in smaller containers the grinder works for hard food wafer etc but I have tried 3 different ones and even on the coarsest setting it powders a lot of it that is then wasted and just adds extra nutrients to the water so I stopped using them. 

I use a cheap (under $20)_ Mr. Coffee coffee grinder to make custom food for fry. I typically throw in some flake food, pellets, algae wafers, freeze-dried tubifex worms, and grind it into a fine powder. Then it goes into a small, sealed container and gets used as needed for fry. (The exact mix varies with the fry, but that's a good all-around mix.) It takes less than a minute.