Dojo loach help!

CJs Aquatics

Hello all, 

I have some adult dojo loaches and last night I varied there diet and fed some vibra bites which isn’t there normal. Woke up this morning and the food must have expanded in there stomachs causing them to have buoyancy issues. This has happened before and the fix was to pick them up out of the water and kinda gently rub the air out of them  but it seems to be more difficult this time. Just wondering if anyone has any other solutions?

Can you give pictures or better description of their buoyancy problem?  Dojos will move air through their bodies OFTEN and this can cause either the front or back of their body to be a little floaty and seem like a problem - when it's actually just normal for them.  Now if you're seeing them upside down, we might have a different issue.

In general I would suggest a more veg heavy omnivore diet for dojos - excess proteins can clog them up some and cause some panic inducing day(s) of them getting back to normal.  Xtreme community crave and the bottom wafers have been great for my dojos, supplemented with things like Rapashy soilent green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes typically they eat big fella pellets as they are rather large, sometimes some krill flake or spirulina flake from extreme, however recently cleaning out some fish foods I gave them the rest of the vibra bites I had. Woke up this morning, 2 were floating belly up, not dead or anything but having a terrible time swimming. Immediately I tested water and although parameters were ok it was time for a change so I tested after as well and things there were back to normal. I suspect the vibra bites since they weren’t pre soaked expanded in there stomachs and are creating the buoyancy issues they are experiencing. Overall it appears they are just struggling as you said to pass the food or the air whichever is creating the problem, I did see one managed to pass it as I watched the “pink cloud” so perhaps they need a bit more time to let things pass I just thought an expert opinion on the matter might help. I’m not home so I can’t attach pics but I can when I get to the house. Basically how do you expedite the digestive process I suppose would be a better question bc I’m almost positive it’s bc the food expanded in there abdomen or is there anything else I can do to ease things for them?

On 10/26/2022 at 11:56 PM, Bentley Pascoe said:

Can you give pictures or better description of their buoyancy problem?  Dojos will move air through their bodies OFTEN and this can cause either the front or back of their body to be a little floaty and seem like a problem - when it's actually just normal for them.  Now if you're seeing them upside down, we might have a different issue.

In general I would suggest a more veg heavy omnivore diet for dojos - excess proteins can clog them up some and cause some panic inducing day(s) of them getting back to normal.  Xtreme community crave and the bottom wafers have been great for my dojos, supplemented with things like Rapashy soilent green.

Didn't know he was on here! I love your YouTube channel!

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 3:46 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Yes typically they eat big fella pellets as they are rather large, sometimes some krill flake or spirulina flake from extreme, however recently cleaning out some fish foods I gave them the rest of the vibra bites I had. Woke up this morning, 2 were floating belly up, not dead or anything but having a terrible time swimming. Immediately I tested water and although parameters were ok it was time for a change so I tested after as well and things there were back to normal. I suspect the vibra bites since they weren’t pre soaked expanded in there stomachs and are creating the buoyancy issues they are experiencing. Overall it appears they are just struggling as you said to pass the food or the air whichever is creating the problem, I did see one managed to pass it as I watched the “pink cloud” so perhaps they need a bit more time to let things pass I just thought an expert opinion on the matter might help. I’m not home so I can’t attach pics but I can when I get to the house. Basically how do you expedite the digestive process I suppose would be a better question bc I’m almost positive it’s bc the food expanded in there abdomen or is there anything else I can do to ease things for them?

The best way to speed up the process is just making sure there's more veg content - things like peas are amazing, but if you want something easier you can bring out some rapashy or a similar spiralina/veg food.

I'm so glad to read your dojos are OK. I love dojos. I love their playful gregariousness. I find it to be a bit of a challenge to regulate their food given they'll eat anything and... any quantity of anything! But mine do seem to have a tendency towards constipation. Periodically if they look bloated, I soak their food in Epsom salts and Garlic Guard which has always resolved the issue by the following day. 

The only time I had severe to fatal constipation issues with my dojos was when I first bought them and had them in QT. It was severe enough that I used sound vibration to clear their blockages with some success. I documented the whole debacle and process. It's somewhat relevant to what you just went through but fortunately, not too relevant!  Good Vibrations

• Like 1
  • Love 1