Native materials

daveb056

I am in the process of setting up a new 6.5 gal tank for shrimp and chili rasboras. All the water, plants and hardscape from my old tank have been cleaned and are waiting in various containers scattered around my room. I want the new tank to have a natural look, so am looking to use wood found lying around my yard. One really nice piece, a piece of a branch from a cherry (maybe) or oak (probably) tree I picked up in the driveway. The bark is peeling in places, and it's pretty well covered in pale green-grey lichen. Will this be safe to use in my new tank? I think it would look great. All the wood I've collected has been sterilized in a 275 degree oven for an hour and a half or more. Any advice on using naturally, locally (New Jersey Pine Barrens) materials will be greatly appreciated. TIA 

• 3 weeks later...

Well the lichen won't have survived the oven so will break down pretty quick in the tank it might be quite messy and it will obviously produce more nitrogenous waste to be dealt with.

Similar issue with bark it has an open structure and high surface area so it will break down faster than the wood does.

See how it fairs in a bucket first though, this is my expectations but life can surprise