Breeding cherry shimp for size?

Scapexghost

On 10/25/2022 at 8:19 PM, Scapexghost said:

Has anyone ever tried this? Would it work? After like ten years or whatever of breeding, could i get amanoi-sized cherries?

You might see a slight increase in size, but I doubt very much that you could get them that large.  If you do I'm pretty sure you could sell them for crazy amounts of money.

It would also depend on your water.  I've seen a post on another forum from a long time shrimp breeder, who I trust, who said that if the pH is over 8.0 that they will get smaller over several generations.

• Thanks 1

Breeding fish (and presumably shrimp) to be larger is typically easier than trying to create dwarfs. Just select the largest fry/shrimplets each cycle to raise and breed and you'll eventually get a genetically larger shrimp. It works in almost every species on the planet including humans. If size is your sole parameter, over ten years you could create a larger than normal red cherry shrimp. How much larger than normal? Eh, I don't know. When you start getting to the extremes in any animal, issues arise. Great Danes have health issues that smaller dogs don't. Some dwarf breeds have all kinds of health issues with some large-headed dwarf dogs are unable to give birth naturally and always need a caesarian. When you go to the extremes, large or small, you run into issues and creatures become a bit more fragile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2022 at 8:25 AM, JettsPapa said:

It would also depend on your water.  I've seen a post on another forum from a long time shrimp breeder, who I trust, who said that if the pH is over 8.0 that they will get smaller over several generations.

Thats interesting. Is it bc of osmosis or something?