High GH question I can't find the answer to

eyeebrows

New here so hopefully I'm doing this right.

I finally got an API GH KH test kit for my mystery snail aquarium. It took me 26 drops for the GH to change to green. I've been trying to figure out if that's too much, if I did something wrong, etc but I can't seem to. I've had a wonder shell in there since Oct 6th.

I know snails like hard water, but can it be TOO hard?

Bonus photo of Maurice. 

PXL_20221022_211922959.jpg

• Like 1

I’m sure there is a limit but I have no clue what it is if snails are the only thing in the tank. Try switching to Zoomed nano banquet blocks instead of wondershell. They affect your water less and provide better dietary cal/mag for snails. 

Maurice is gorgeous 🤩

Edited by Guppysnail

On 10/26/2022 at 5:51 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Is it the same wonder shell since March? if so and it's really not dissolving then yes it looks like you have done that test right. If everyone seems happy in the water I wouldn't worry too much. 

But let's see what the experts say 

It's the same shell since the beginning of October. He seems happy, only thing I've just started noticing is some spotting on his shell. Like small dark spots? pH is never below 7, last test was 7.2-7.4. I try and keep it higher but it really doesn't want to stay there. 

On 10/26/2022 at 5:51 AM, Flumpweesel said:

PXL_20221025_235429804.jpg

On 10/26/2022 at 10:46 AM, Guppysnail said:

As long as ph is not below 7 you are fine and the shell will not erode. He looks in perfect health. The spots are nothing to worry over.

Thank you! I haven't had snails since I was a kid, so I'm paranoid momming a lot because I just love this little guy. 

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, Guppysnail said:

Feed veggies blanched. They thrive with a well varied diet.

He gets blanched zucchini (his fave), kale, carrot and cucumber on rotation along with algae wafers. Also going to try making snello soon for the first time. 

On 10/26/2022 at 8:28 AM, JettsPapa said:

Using the ACO test strips my gh and kh are both around 300 ppm, and snails and shrimp do just fine in my water without any additives.

300 ppm is about 2/3 of 24 drops. 24 drops seem an awful lot if it is city water (cell water particularly in an area with limestone would be more plausible). However I would check the expiration date on the chemical as well as try testing some distill water (if you have any) just as a confirmation check . That water is pretty hard if it is really 24 degree - so I wouldn't want to keep geo in it 😉 but there are fishes that love hard water. No clue if snails have a limit or long term implication.

On 10/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, anewbie said:

300 ppm is about 2/3 of 24 drops. 24 drops seem an awful lot if it is city water (cell water particularly in an area with limestone would be more plausible). However I would check the expiration date on the chemical as well as try testing some distill water (if you have any) just as a confirmation check . That water is pretty hard if it is really 24 degree - so I wouldn't want to keep geo in it 😉 but there are fishes that love hard water. No clue if snails have a limit or long term implication.

Yeah everything I was reading only mentioned going up to 12 drops and I'm over here like uhhhh. I JUST bought the kit, the date on it is still good for quite awhile. We're on well water but just moved to the area so I genuinely don't know anything about the water.