aquarium co op™ brand easy green™ in brackish water?

Oh sounds cool!

Yes and Yes. I don’t see a reason you can’t  use easy green in a brackish tank other than the fact that most plants won’t grow. But you may not need to add excess nutrients considering the bio load would likely be more then enough to support that single mangrove.   And it could induce a nitrate/algae issue.

I might be mistaken but mangroves are not typically utilized for nutrient export since they grow too slow to be of use in that capacity. I know that’s not the point of having one here, just reasoning that supplementation of nitrogen would probably not be necessary. Will make a cool ecosystem though. 

That SG is on the low end but should be fine for the red mangrove. 
Let’s see a picture when you get it up and running! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:48 PM, ScottieB said:

I might be mistaken but mangroves are not typically utilized for nutrient export since they grow too slow to be of use in that capacity. I know that’s not the point of having one here, just reasoning that supplementation of nitrogen would probably not be necessary. Will make a cool ecosystem though. 

I’m mostly worried about phosphates and other trace elements (I think) that the fish won’t produce 

On 10/26/2022 at 11:40 AM, Aiden Carter said:

I’m mostly worried about phosphates and other trace elements (I think) that the fish won’t produce 

Understood. In a small volume of water I wonder if your better off with root tabs then liquid fert?

Also Cory himself contributed! and yes @Zenzo would be a valuable resource for mudskippers.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:02 PM, ScottieB said:

Understood. In a small volume of water I wonder if your better off with root tabs then liquid fert?

Also Cory himself contributed! and yes @Zenzo would be a valuable resource for mudskippers.

The problem is I have easy green on hand not root tabs; and trust me I’ve watched zenzos videos on brackish many times!

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 10/27/2022 at 9:18 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Didn’t know those worked outside of freshwater. How are the new Apistos doing?

Apistos are fine, but it appears I may have two males. I have to check back in a couple of weeks to see if they might have females (spoke with Justin yesterday). 

On 10/27/2022 at 12:17 PM, Zenzo said:

@Aiden Carter1.004 should be fine. I usually aim for around 1.006 with mine, but it's never exact (just like the wild is ever-changing). I use Root Tabs for my mangroves. I have used Easy Green in other brackish setups (Java Fern). 

I was planning on raising the salinity after I add some ghost shrimp (bought in fw)