Angelfish Breeding with Baby Angelfish Stealing Eggs at End

Daniel

There have been several recent threads about breeding angelfish in a community aquarium. I want to show that although this is possible to do this, you get lots of attrition of the fry, or even the eggs (watch for juvenile angels stealing eggs about midway through the video). The spawning pair keep swimming over to the edge of their territory to protect their border from other adult angels in the tank and that's when the young angels sneak in!

My son Walker and his fellow composer Richie Varnadore wrote and performed the music in the video. I said 'give me something fishy sounding', and this is what they gave back to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Streetwise said:

Are those more eggs in the background when you zoom out?

🙂 I think that is blue-green algae pearling! It's funny, aquariums that are just a little bit shabby, some dead plant leaves, a little blue green algae make some the finest aquariums for breeding.

And plenty of aggression in this tank too. Notice how ripped up the female's caudal fin is? In a natural state this is what it looks like, everything isn't perfect. But the system as a whole functions better because of the imperfections.

Some of the Amazon sword plants are sending out runners with baby swords, some are flowering. The Bolivian rams in this tank are breeding and so are the Corydoras, and baby angels from previous spawns are growing up in the tank they where hatched in.

Admittedly, only 1 out of 100 baby angels grow to adulthood in this tank but boy are they strong and healthy and alert!

At the time of the video there were 3 pairs (6 adults). The adults were just babies when I got them and had grown up in the tank back when it was a discus tank. Eventually I ended up the 3 pairs (you can see other adults near the end of the video). One pair had a territory on one end, one pair had a territory in the middle, and one pair had a territory on the other end. Sometimes all 3 pairs would be breeding simultaneously which was quite tumultuous.

• Like 1

I just found this video on an old hard-drive. I shot it on New Years Day 2011. It is over an hour long so I cut it down to about 3 1/2 minutes before posting it (and even that could probably be cut in half again, I know my attention span is about 1 minute).

5 hours ago, Kriskm said:

Little stinkers! But I do love having multiple generations in one tank.

I bet on a phone people my not notice the 'little stinkers' sneaking in but they are totally obvious on a big screen. And the multiple generations is an indicator of something...maybe another seasoned tank time indicator...something like:

If your tank has multiple generations of a species of fish living in it, it might be seasoned.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:53 PM, Daniel said:

🙂 I think that is blue-green algae pearling! It's funny, aquariums that are just a little bit shabby, some dead plant leaves, a little blue green algae make some the finest aquariums for breeding.

And plenty of aggression in this tank too. Notice how ripped up the female's caudal fin is? In a natural state this is what it looks like, everything isn't perfect. But the system as a whole functions better because of the imperfections.

I appreciated this as my angels have started to be aggressive with each other and I’m noticing missing, suspiciously bite-sized, chunks of fin. Lots of face offs and pecking. But I assume like chickens or dogs or anything else they are establishing order and testing their boundaries as they become adults, and hope that the quarreling is a sign eventually they’ll start pairing off. 

• Like 1