What thermometer do you use?

TeeJay

Yes I forgot to mention that in my hygger heaters I do have the controllers running them. I'm just mainly looking for a secondary temp source more or less. The digital ones like that I have never show the same temps. I can have 3 of them of the same brand in the same location of the tank and get 3 different readings.

I like the idea of this one since it's held on with magnets and seems to get the best accuracy rating I can find 

Screenshot_20221022-210642.png

• Like 1

I too use the digital thermometers that @Kurt Brutting showed. The only difference is mine are stamped FreeSea and came with my heaters. I like them, but they have small differences between them. The downside is they can run through batteries, but those are cheap to replace. 

I used to obsess over my temps, and now I just give them a glance every once in a while. Some of the thermometers are still in the tank, but need the batteries replaced. That’s always the “I’ll do that tomorrow” and then it doesn’t get done tomorrow…

I also have a handheld infrared thermometer, and that’s super efficient to just go around to the tanks and pull the trigger. 

I got a Thermapen for Christmas like a decade ago.  I never used it and I ended up getting a Thermowork's Dot.  I use the Dot all the time for roasted meats and candy making.

The thermapen is perfect for aquarium use.  It's an instant read, and super accurate. 

However, I'd probably be using the Dot to measure water temp if I didn't have the thermapen.  The Dot is cheaper too.

My thermometers must do double duty in the kitchen and aquarium.  If you have more than one aquarium, the Thermopen is worth the money because it is fast. It also has a back lit, auto rotating display in addition to being fast and accurate.  My backup is an OXO digital meat thermometer.  It is fast has a large easy to read display and cost half as much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use an instant digital kitchen thermometer I know to be extremely accurate. All the aquarium thermos I "invested" in early in my aquarium venture were far too off the mark to be useful. 

@PerceptivePesce Thermoworks is an excellent company, while I don't use my 2 Thermoworks (I have a dot too) for the aquariums I've measured the one I do use up against them for accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all I have a thermometer like those that I use to check water temp when I do my water changes. I mean I know what I'm working with does a fairly good job. Was just looking for a back up in tank to couple with the controller style hooked to my heater. I figure for 9 bucks I'll check out the one I found and see how it does. I'll report back any findings.

• Like 1

I'm old school, I guess - I use two of the simple floating thermometers. I don't keep one in each tank, but I move them around to tanks as I maintenance them once every week or so. It takes 2-3 minutes of floating for it to get an accurate reading, at which point I glance at it, make sure it's within a few degrees of whatever I'm shooting for, and move on.

These two thermometers were $5 a piece at Petsmart and are accurate to each other - I'm not sure if they read true, but who the heck cares? As far as I'm concerned, no fish needs a certain temperature within a degree to be happy or even to breed. Just gotta get it close enough. I've found the digital ones to be extremely innacurate, at least the cheap ones.

I'm also the kind of person to just dip a finger in a tank while I'm walking by. I worked in a pet store for a couple years with hands in tanks every day, so I have a pretty good idea of what a tropical fish tank should feel like - 78-ish feels distinct from 72 and 84 by quite a bit to me, enough that I can verify that a tank isn't way off by finger alone.

Not necessarily what I'd recommend, but hey, it works for me.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chris said:

I'm old school, I guess - I use two of the simple floating thermometers. I don't keep one in each tank, but I move them around to tanks as I maintenance them once every week or so. It takes 2-3 minutes of floating for it to get an accurate reading, at which point I glance at it, make sure it's within a few degrees of whatever I'm shooting for, and move on.

These two thermometers were $5 a piece at Petsmart and are accurate to each other - I'm not sure if they read true, but who the heck cares? As far as I'm concerned, no fish needs a certain temperature within a degree to be happy or even to breed. Just gotta get it close enough. I've found the digital ones to be extremely innacurate, at least the cheap ones.

I'm also the kind of person to just dip a finger in a tank while I'm walking by. I worked in a pet store for a couple years with hands in tanks every day, so I have a pretty good idea of what a tropical fish tank should feel like - 78-ish feels distinct from 72 and 84 by quite a bit to me, enough that I can verify that a tank isn't way off by finger alone.

Not necessarily what I'd recommend, but hey, it works for me.

No that's true. It's not like if your 1 degree off there going to start going belly up.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 11:11 AM, Chris said:

Old school works.  In winter I feel the radiant heat as I walk past or on my face when I open the lid at feeding time . If something feels off, I get out the Thermopen.  I gave up on the floaters mainly because I was tired of chasing them in the aquarium.  For me the digital thermometers pay for themselves in the kitchen, and time saved when doing water changes.

• Like 1