GBR eggs, how do I move them to a new tank?

Corbidorbidoodle

I have a 40 gallon breeder with a handful of German blue Rams and a school of rummy nose tetras. I've been hoping the ramps would spawn but I wasn't banking on it. But now I have a rock covered with eggs!

I can't tell if the RAM in the picture is protecting. The eggs are eating them. What's the best way to move these eggs to a new tank so that I get lots of little GBR babies?

PXL_20221022_181603506.jpg

PXL_20221022_181706305.jpg

Edited by Corbidorbidoodle
  • Love 1

Nice looking rams! Well if it’s the rams first time spawning most of the eggs won’t be fertilized so there is 100% chance it’s gonna be a bad hatch. If you want to try and give it a shot what I would do is pull the rock out and place it any container with an air stone and some methalyne blue. If you don’t have this you can use any fungus medication but I recommend methalyne blue. Wait a couple of days and see if the eggs hatch or not. Good luck!

• Like 1

So, I don't think the eggs were fertilized. I moved him to a container, put in some copper power green, aerated them, and kept them warm. They all just turned white and then fell off the rock eventually.

I thought they were fertilized, cuz they were mostly transparent with only a few white ones. But maybe they hadn't even been in there for an hour for all I know.

I'mma keep trying though.

Looks like your Rams are happy!

I typically lift the spawning site up into a floating flow-through Tupperware container in the tank the Rams spawned in. I add airstone, and just a few ml of over-the-counter 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) every 12-hours for 3x doses. Fry hatch in a few days, become wigglers, then free-swim a few days later.

• Thanks 1