40 gal breeder nano fish setup

Kory

Planning out the next tank.  Which always seems to be the case.  lol.  I'm thinking a heavily planted with mostly crypts.  With a large school of both coryadoras hasbrosus and chili rasboras.  Maybe some amino shrimp and a pair of bolivian rams.  I'm looking for thoughts on how much trouble I will be in if the rams decide to spawn.  Is it a case of enough hiding spots it would likely be okay, must move the rams out when they breed or is this just very likely to not work out?  I have other tanks so there is always a backup plan but I try to avoid creating problems if I do not need to.

Here goes the unanswerable question as I know the answer is depends on how much upkeep you want to do but if it were you setting this up what size schools of the cory's and rasboras would you shoot for? 

I have a pair of rams in a heavily planted 29g community tank. They have spawned repeatedly but unsuccessfully. I think the snails are the real culprit, but there are also tetras, otocinclus, and khuli loaches and an angel fish. They are not overly aggressive, but will protect their area. Mostly they ignore everything else and get into stand offs with the angel fish. I am not convinced that he knows the eggs are there, he just wants to be the head boss, and suddenly they are standing their ground rather than getting out of the way. 

There are no clear sight lines in my tank--it is packed with driftwood and plants. That cuts down on aggression dramatically. I would get everything else established before adding the rams.

As for stocking, if your goal is a community tank I am a fan of a largish school of both corys and rasboras more is more! But if you want successful breeding stocking more lightly is probably better.