First day of working at my LFS!

TheSwissAquarist

Hello fellow Nerms!

After a seeing dumbo guppies being kept with tiger barbs in my LFS, I applied for a Saturday job.

Today as soon as I got to the store, I put on my branded shirt and immediately started feeding fish. My LFS is sort of like a Home Depot, but with a massive fish section. As I was walking along, I checked for sick/dead  fish and saw about 15 😩! Later  I talked to the store manager (nice guy) that if we put live plants and a couple more hiding places in the tanks, in the long run we would save a lot of cash in the long term. He said he’d think about it 😏

I also had the pleasure (I’ve dreamed of this ) of doing an unboxing! Mostly standard stuff, but some very cool bettas and some transparent tetra I have never seen before.

Do you have any recommendations on how to serve customers ? I’m posting this before midday, when the store opens.

Have a nice day!

BE7364F6-5BF9-4AC0-B8C2-AB5DEEE86BEA.jpeg

AF24833C-0BC9-4D58-9474-A0D70ACFF66F.jpeg

3DF6569C-4F84-4060-8453-4CC7239EF6AA.jpeg

A34BD5A0-6715-4F50-90F9-4EDD7E0839FB.jpeg

36254198-9EA0-4F36-B774-92B0F65ABE72.jpeg

F71C58BF-8997-4BC0-B139-585253C9A252.jpeg

DDE9A03C-284E-462A-A62F-E28426E30512.jpeg

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
Spelling😏
  • Like 4

Good luck with your first day. First thing to do with customers is smile and listen, if they ask questions great but don't expect them all to want a chat.

Most people like to talk about there own tank but use the same ethos as this site everyone keeps fish their way and it might not be your way but that doesn't make them wrong. Sometimes you'll think so but unless your boss says otherwise you'll probably have to keep quiet.

I'm sure they'll give you some guidelines. Remember you can't help people who don't want help and madness lies in trying. You can make a massive difference to the new owners and curious though so focus on the good you can do there.

And I hope your netting skills are solid when you have to get that guppy just there that someones 3 year old has just fixated on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:08 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Good luck with your first day. First thing to do with customers is smile and listen, if they ask questions great but don't expect them all to want a chat.

Most people like to talk about there own tank but use the same ethos as this site everyone keeps fish their way and it might not be your way but that doesn't make them wrong. Sometimes you'll think so but unless your boss says otherwise you'll probably have to keep quiet.

I'm sure they'll give you some guidelines. Remember you can't help people who don't want help and madness lies in trying. You can make a massive difference to the new owners and curious though so focus on the good you can do there.

I know I can’t help everyone, because that would be unproductive, and I had to deal with someone complaining about a filter. He forgot to add the motor 🤦‍♂️. Really had to hold it in😂😂😂.

I’ve already read the (un)official guidelines, and I do take great pleasure in selling some persons first fish for their tank. A 7-9yo wanted 6 angelfish for a 20 gal. I persuaded him to take the koi swordtails around the corner😀

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
This & that
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:24 AM, Flumpweesel said:

they'll think your cool

Long way to go on that one 😂

want impress you.

Next time I'll have a betta tattooed on my neck😜

See what they come back with!

Some older people might be trickier. 

But I'll try my best and see how it works! I'm friends with most of the aquarists in the area either way.

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:36 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Big tip when working keep your phone time to minimum on the shop floor, look for things to do instead.😉 

Impress these people.

Doesn’t open for three minutes and the other 2 employees are currently gaming ‘sigh’ 

have a nice day!

On 10/22/2022 at 11:36 AM, Flumpweesel said:

phone time to minimum on the shop floor, look for things to do instead.😉 

Will make sure 🫡.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 4:08 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Remember you can't help people who don't want help and madness lies in trying.

Best. Advice.  Ever!

@TheSwissAquarist, I had the chance to work at a pet store/LFS in high school.  It was a great experience.  I mostly worked with the reptiles and amphibians, but had a chance to help with the fish as well.  Happily, I did not have to deal with the little mammals nor the birds. 

My big advice to any young person starting a job where they have a passion is that in youth there is energy and excitement.  It's wonderful, but it can also come across as overbearing and intrusive.  Take a breath or take a beat whenever you think someone absolutely must hear what you have to say.  And trade off speaking for listening more than you thunk you should.  I don't know if this will apply to you personally, but it is general advice I give.  At the same time remember the old Nordic saying: any faults of youth are remedied daily. 

I suspect you'll have a wonderful time.  Don't forget to enjoy the experience when you are siphoning out your thousandth aquarium.  Have fun!

• Like 2

@TheSwissAquarist have you confirmed with the store manager that they are OK with you posting photos of the fish/tanks? Also, be very careful about what you say here and elsewhere online about the store and your role there. Unless you have management’s permission, you can’t give the appearance that your online self in any way represents the store or brand.

That being said, you could leverage your experience and generally helpful nature into online or social media improvement for the store, if they want. Would they let you write/publish how-to guides or post new arrivals to their social or web?

On 10/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, TOtrees said:

ave you confirmed with the store manager that they are OK with you posting photos of the fish/tanks? Also, be very careful about what you say here and elsewhere online about the store and your role there. Unless you have management’s permission, you can’t give the appearance that your online self in any way represents the store or brand.

Yes I have confirmed that he is fine with it (he does so himself on Facebook) and I have never said the brand name at all. I have been very careful not to  do that!

On 10/22/2022 at 4:48 PM, TOtrees said:

Would they let you write/publish how-to guides or post new arrivals to their social or web?

I could ask that, but I doubt it’ll work. No harm in trying though!

I hope you enjoyed your first day.  If this is your first venture into the world of sales and customer service, it is going to be an interesting ride. The others have covered just about everything, especially listening. I would add: 

Be conservative with your advice and be sure that you understand and answer the question that was asked.  Too much information too soon will confuse or scare away newcomers to the hobby.

Don't hover.  Offer assistance, and if declined, move on.  You can always circle back later.  

On 10/23/2022 at 5:35 PM, Tanked said:

Be conservative with your advice and be sure that you understand and answer the question that was asked.  Too much information too soon will confuse or scare away

One of my colleagues just can’t contain himself! You ask him a question about platys and he launches into a monologue about platy-swordtail mixes🤦‍♂️. I think he got the job because he is superb when it comes to catching Reticulated Hillstream Loaches.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2022 at 2:08 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Remember you can't help people who don't want help and madness lies in trying. You can make a massive difference to the new owners and curious though so focus on the good you can do there.

On 10/22/2022 at 6:57 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

in youth there is energy and excitement.  It's wonderful, but it can also come across as overbearing and intrusive.  Take a breath or take a beat whenever you think someone absolutely must hear what you have to say.  And trade off speaking for listening more than you thunk you should. 

On 10/23/2022 at 8:35 AM, Tanked said:

Be conservative with your advice and be sure that you understand and answer the question that was asked.  Too much information too soon will confuse or scare away newcomers to the hobby.

Don't hover.  Offer assistance, and if declined, move on.  You can always circle back later.

For the 1st time ever, I'm ORD! 🤣

But I was wondering how your 1st day went! A perfect way to enter the working world. I've worked in customer service in some capacity my whole life. Great advice so far & I picked out a few choice tidbits above. I'll reiterate:

Smile & be friendly. Always put a positive spin, avoid negativity. Even if someone is way off base, make a positive comment about their enthusiasm. 

Ask questions then LISTEN. Avoid information overload. Give enough info to pique their interest, then they're more inclined to seek out more knowledge. 

Offer options. Try to avoid giving absolutes. Absolutes make you seem smug & overbearing. Options make you seem helpful & well-informed. 

Never let them see you sweat. You'll inevitably come across some real jerks. An "I can understand your concern/frustration/disappointment" can go a long way to diffusing a situation. If you need to vent, never on the sales floor. 

Respect your superiors, even if you think they're wrong. 

Wishing you all the best! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 12:33 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

One of my colleagues just can’t contain himself! You ask him a question about platys and he launches into a monologue about platy-swordtail mixes🤦‍♂️. I think he got the job because he is superb when it comes to catching Reticulated Hillstream Loaches.

Fish related or otherwise, there always seems to be one in every shop.  Where I work, that colleague is the owner.😬

• 2 weeks later...