New 20 long for apisto pair

BigJ

I am setting up a 20-long for a pair of apistos that I currently have in quarantine. 

I am going to try to keep it as SA as I can with both plants and stocking, I am thinking maybe a few schools besides the apistos. I really don't know what plants would work well, I am still a bit of a beginner so they need to be somewhat easy, I was thinking maybe a centerpiece sword but I think those would take over a 20l so I really don't know. I would also like input on whether there is a smaller bottom dwelling cory that would work with the apistos in a 20-long.

Any info and  ideas will be greatly appreciated 

On 10/22/2022 at 6:11 AM, BigJ said:

I am setting up a 20-long for a pair of apistos that I currently have in quarantine. 

I am going to try to keep it as SA as I can with both plants and stocking, I am thinking maybe a few schools besides the apistos. I really don't know what plants would work well, I am still a bit of a beginner so they need to be somewhat easy, I was thinking maybe a centerpiece sword but I think those would take over a 20l so I really don't know. I would also like input on whether there is a smaller bottom dwelling cory that would work with the apistos in a 20-long.

Any info and  ideas will be greatly appreciated 

What kind of Apistos or Corys were you thinking about? I’d put a couple of average plants in which you can find in a big box store. As for a school of fish, I would suggest Rummy nose or neon/cardinal tetras.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Here’s my dads show tank. Amazonian biotope with 150 neons (we started with 20)

EDF52D8D-354F-49CB-B1EA-49EF3DCEB7E0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

In my experience, most sword plants grow far too large for a 20 long. But a Rosette Sword (Echinodorus Parviflorus) would be perfect, as they stay compact and under 6 inches.

Corys would be fine with apistos.

(Not my hand below! Nor my plant!)

image.png.15c5efc1f8f0cd4612dd5ff2194f8264.png

Edited by tolstoy21

On 10/22/2022 at 2:17 PM, tolstoy21 said:

In my experience, most sword plants grow far too large for a 20 long. But a Rosette Sword (Echinodorus Parviflorus) would be perfect, as they stay compact and under 6 inches.

Corys would be fine with apistos.

(Not my hand below! Nor my plant!)

image.png.15c5efc1f8f0cd4612dd5ff2194f8264.png

Reminds me of the spinach my Grandmother tries to force on me 🤮

On 10/22/2022 at 3:10 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

What kind of Apistos or Corys were you thinking about?

I have a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuodies from @tolstoy21. and I don't really care what kind of cory, I was thinking peppered as I believe they are the smallest bottom-dwelling cory, but if there is another small bottom dwelling cory that anyone knows of I would be interested. Thanks for the input.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:03 PM, BigJ said:

I have a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuodies from @tolstoy21. and I don't really care what kind of cory, I was thinking peppered as I believe they are the smallest bottom-dwelling cory, but if there is another small bottom dwelling cory that anyone knows of I would be interested. Thanks for the input.

I think Aspidorus ones are about the same size… why not Pygmy Corys to get a bit of swimming action?

On 10/23/2022 at 1:17 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

why not Pygmy Corys to get a bit of swimming action

Just because I like the curious way corys ran there noses across the bottom looking for tasty tidbits, I've never had pygmys are they as fun and intriguing?