Trimming Dead Leaves

Hey everyone!

I’m pretty new to the planted aquarium scene and am wondering…if one of an aquarium plant’s leaves is dying back is it advisable to cut the leaf off to help facilitate new growth? If so, is the leaf generally just cut as close to the base as possible? I have a few plants with a dying leaf in my aquarium right now (one apongoton ulvaceous and one dwarf sag). I just wanted to check on this, probably a super easy question…Thanks!!!

On 10/22/2022 at 5:00 AM, DustinJWagner said:

Hey everyone!

I’m pretty new to the planted aquarium scene and am wondering…if one of an aquarium plant’s leaves is dying back is it advisable to cut the leaf off to help facilitate new growth? If so, is the leaf generally just cut as close to the base as possible? I have a few plants with a dying leaf in my aquarium right now (one apongoton ulvaceous and one dwarf sag). I just wanted to check on this, probably a super easy question…Thanks!!!

The Aponogeton could be dying back because it hasn’t had its annual hibernation thing - read up on that.

As for the dwarf sag, how long have you had it?

• Thanks 1

In general,  I cut off most damaged/algea covered leaves. I'd rather err on the side of the plant spending energy on new growth rather than spending energy trying to repair/maintain sub optimal growth 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Thanks 1

I cut back dead/dying leaves, especially for fast-growing plants. Water Sprite has an odd habit of branches dying on me after it puts out 5-6 branches. It starts to grow a new one right in the area that an old one starts to brown. When they start to get brown, and I take that as my cue to cut.

I figure that in the wild, the plant may want to reabsorb nutrients in the leaf, but I provide enough nutrients through fertilizer to offset that. Also, it helps keep the amount of decaying material (and ammonia) to a minimum. I cut pretty close to the base of the leave, but I do not pull it off.

• Thanks 1

On 10/22/2022 at 3:14 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

The Aponogeton could be dying back because it hasn’t had its annual hibernation thing - read up on that.

As for the dwarf sag, how long have you had it?

Interesting! I just got them a few days ago from the coop site.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:43 AM, PotatoFish said:

I cut back dead/dying leaves, especially for fast-growing plants. Water Sprite has an odd habit of branches dying on me after it puts out 5-6 branches. It starts to grow a new one right in the area that an old one starts to brown. When they start to get brown, and I take that as my cue to cut.

I figure that in the wild, the plant may want to reabsorb nutrients in the leaf, but I provide enough nutrients through fertilizer to offset that. Also, it helps keep the amount of decaying material (and ammonia) to a minimum. I cut pretty close to the base of the leave, but I do not pull it off.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I appreciate your input!

On 10/22/2022 at 6:37 AM, JoeQ said:

In general,  I cut off most damaged/algea covered leaves. I'd rather err on the side of the plant spending energy on new growth rather than spending energy trying to repair/maintain sub optimal growth 

Thanks!!!

On 10/22/2022 at 10:59 AM, DustinJWagner said:

Interesting! I just got them a few days ago from the coop site.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I appreciate your input!

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the thanks. 🤣

And another thing I forgot to mention is that trimming oftentimes encourages growth 

On 10/27/2022 at 4:31 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

I have what I refer to as my "constant gardeners".... Gold Mystery Snails.  They tend to help reduce the amount of work required in tending to plants.  It's amazing how "surgical" they are when it comes to removing dead/decaying plant matter.

Do you feed them at all?

On 10/21/2022 at 11:00 PM, DustinJWagner said:

Hey everyone!

I have Dwarf Sag in mine.  They occasionally get a dying leaf.  Just seems to be par for the course in my case.  Overall, they are doing quite well.  I don't tend to trim it.  The snails may eventually get to it. 🙂  I also use root tabs.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:49 PM, The Arthritic Aquarist said:

I have Dwarf Sag in mine.  They occasionally get a dying leaf.  Just seems to be par for the course in my case.  Overall, they are doing quite well.  I don't tend to trim it.  The snails may eventually get to it. 🙂  I also use root tabs.

I usually just wait until it’s a floppy, jelly like thing with no nutrients, and then I pull it.