Treating Dropsy with Epsom Salt or Aquarium Salt?

Traumfahrer

What's the main line here, besides applying antibiotics?

I'm reading conflicting information on the net. - Some suggest to treat with Aquarium Salt, some with Epsom Salt. Two sources claim that Aquarium Salt instead of Epsom Salt might aggravate the disease without an explanation or source.

I'm also interested in the salt concentrations to treat with and in bathing (in a hospital tank) vs. dipping.

Needless to say that Dropsy should be treated with antibiotics alongside raising salt levels.

Adding two very insightful discussion on reddit:

I posted this on General Discussion before and now realized I should've asked here.

Personally went through the same line of research regarding treating dropsy in guppies. I ended up trying aquarium salt which I will say did not do well in treatment and in my opinion or particular case may have expedited the condition. I learned of the epsom salt recently. The aquarium salt treatment on my end was not a controlled experiment more of a panicked trying to help so it is entirely possible I did it incorrectly concentration wise. I’ve never tried the epsom salt treatment but would be interested to if I ran into a similar situation in the future (hopefully not of course). Worth mentioning I decided personally for dropsy after the first trial salt was not the way to go for me. I had limited success with medicated food, as well as some real success with medications themselves. Although vague, I hope sharing this experience helps in any way 

• Administrators

The problem is, the average aquarist sees an expanded belly and says, must be dropsy. The reality is, it could be many different things from constipation, to being egg bound, to organ failure, and many more. All of these things have different things that could help or not. No med is going to fix organ failure for example. If it were egg bound, in some cases epsom salt could help relax muscles and it could pass it, or not. This is what makes helping people with sick fish so hard, is the diagnosis, not so much the treatment.